Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: RE: Can scarcely believe this  (Read 1780 times)

Offline bs218

RE: Can scarcely believe this
on: January 05, 2015, 08:16:33 AM
Hello everyone

I'm fairly new here and don't post often but I have to point this out. I'm sure many of you familiar with this guy have probably seen this, but after having listened to the whole thing I'm gobsmacked.

And this is a guy with advanced degrees from prestigious conservatoires? How?

Offline bs218

Re: Unbelievable
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 08:17:20 AM
Double post, apologies.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Re: RE: Can scarcely believe this
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 09:18:37 AM

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 09:21:49 AM
Hello everyone

I'm fairly new here and don't post often but I have to point this out. I'm sure many of you familiar with this guy have probably seen this, but after having listened to the whole thing I'm gobsmacked.

It's awful... isn't it? He plays as if he has a stick up his arse, he's a charlatan, he's a fraud, I wouldn't post his videos again.

Actually... I wouldn't be surprised if you were Bach Scholar himself trying to shamelessly promote his videos. I could be wrong, but I have a hunch...

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 10:08:19 AM
It seems hardly surprising that "comments are disabled"...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 11:04:09 AM
I'm fairly new here and don't post often

Not often? It's your first post!

I'd have thought Mr Hall required no further debunking.  His flaws being obvious, any effort to highlight them seems merely uncharitable.

That said, I've heard plenty worse renditions.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline stoat_king

Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 03:07:03 PM
I think he gets points for wrongmindedness.
Although, if your'e going down that road, I feel it would be more effective to add a really hard breakbeat and a load of dubstep 'wubs'.
A bit of interpretive dance in the foreground wouldnt hurt either -I dont much like the looks of him and it would be a welcome distraction.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert