Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Advice sought on Chopin Nocturne Op 9 No 3  (Read 1548 times)

Offline stoat_king

Advice sought on Chopin Nocturne Op 9 No 3
on: January 08, 2015, 10:36:13 AM
Hello there.
I am hoping someone will be kind enough to give me some advice.
Whilst I have a specific example, this is something that is relatively commonplace in works by Chopin.
Chopin Nocturne Op 9 No 3, has a time signature of 6/8.
Typically the left hand contains six quavers (8th notes) in this piece.
Bar 79 has the usual 6 quavers in the left hand and a run of 24 demisemiquavers (32nd notes).
Nothing unusual so far.

However, my issue is with bar 25, which again has six quavers in the left hand, but this time it has the equivalent of 29 demisemiquavers in the right hand. Ouch!
My question is: what is the best thing to do about this?

What I tend to do is artificially line up the left hand notes with those notes in the right hand that I consider most appropriate, and speed up or slow down the right hand part to fit.

However, I'm pretty sure this isn't ideal.
Not only do I feel that the sheet music is staring at me accusingly, I have even had a dream where Chopin pushed me down the stairs.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Advice sought on Chopin Nocturne Op 9 No 3
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 11:00:28 AM
I have even had a dream where Chopin pushed me down the stairs.

You're safe, There's quite a queue and he's something of a weakling.

Do you know anything about polyrhythms?
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline stoat_king

Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 11:32:21 AM
Only by experience - I know nothing of the theory.
Most of the time I don't have any difficulty.
For instance, in this same piece, there are instances of 3 notes in the left hand to variously 4, 5 and 7 in the right. No problem.
Then again, these don't last a whole bar and are very much simpler.

A ratio of 6 notes in left to 29 in right is daunting though.

I had a similar problem with bar 3 of Nocturne Op 3 No 1 - that has 12 notes in the left hand to 22 in the right hand. Long practice has smudged that problem out of existence - even so, I'm not sure that I know what I'm doing or how I'm doing it. My fingers and ears seem to have worked it out between themselves without any intervention from my brain.

I have no doubt that I'll get it eventually - I just don't know how to attack such a problem other by the kind of cheating / compromise I mention in the opening post.

Should I even be aiming to precisely reproduce the sheet music?
It may be that playing precisely 4 and 5/6ths notes in the right hand for every one in the left sounds awful...

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 11:00:01 PM
Should I even be aiming to precisely reproduce the sheet music?
It may be that playing precisely 4 and 5/6ths notes in the right hand for every one in the left sounds awful...

The LH should be accurate and in time. The RH flourish should be free, though the notes shouldn't deliberately line up. Chopin uses these strange numbers to avoid any oh the RH notes falling on a beat, so don't try and "correct" him. The RH should be pretty free form, unaccented, starting on the first beat but otherwise just doing what sounds best without sweating the maths.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline stoat_king

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 10:15:56 AM
Thats exactly the sort of advice I was after. Thank you very much.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert