Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Etude op.25 no.6  (Read 2222 times)

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Etude op.25 no.6
on: January 09, 2015, 03:54:44 PM
I hope you enjoy.

Comments, criticism welcome...

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Etude op.25 no.6
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 04:13:16 PM
Sorry, but I can only say NICE !!  I liked it !! :)
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 06:32:52 PM
Thank you emill !!

I tried to emphasize the musical content of this etude.

Comments about that, anybody?

Offline verqueue

Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 07:09:00 PM
I already commented at PW forum. But I listened once more and I've an impression that you sometimes rush a bit in ending of passages. I think it's caused by some maybe not a tension, but, oh, I don't know. Sometimes things like this happen and I don't know why. Maybe you don't listen the whole passage? - you know where it ends and starts, and those are your checkpoints, but you don't truly listen to the middle of these.

Also work more on the descending passage at page two (after the theme in c#), it was the hardest passage for me, and it seems that you have problems with it too.

Also I think you should more listen to ending of passages - even at first page, I know about articulation there, but they should mean something. I also have an impression that the sixteens, which are not on beat and not on half beat are sometimes not well articulated (for example in c# at first page when the trill starts to twist).

These are just my thoughts. I think it's a good performance, especially when the camera is on.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 09:30:48 PM
Good work!
I hope you forgive me for being hyper-critical, but here goes:

Personally, I think that the LH has the potential for greater musical opportunities than I heard here.

The legato in both hands as well as the integrity of each voice in the RH thirds could be improved... there were some choppy moments throughout.

Your right hand would be better off without making the journey repeatedly to your lap. Just because there are rests, doesn't mean the hand gets to go on vacation!  ;)

I also believe that your interpretation would benefit from being a hair slower... we can't all be Josef Lhevinne!

Well done, Hakki. I have rather personal views on each of the Chopin Etudes. If I were you, I'd crank the tempo down a bit, and work on it without pedal.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 02:34:34 AM
There were way too many mistakes.  Pedaling is clipped and breaks the musical lines.

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 06:37:51 PM
Thank you awesome.

I have been warned about the lap thing before too. I should be more aware of that.
You are right also that a little bit slower tempo would help.
I recently had an injury on my ulnar nerve affecting my 4-5 fingers hence some of the sloppiness.

Thanks for listening and providing helpful comments.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 05:22:51 PM
Hello sir, first off good job completing this one, it's tough. There's a few thing that got me through it that I thought I would share with you.  ;D

1) Practice the chromatic scales individually BUT with the fingers you are going to use. (3-4-5 for the top note, 1-2 for the bottom) see Etude 10/2 for extra work with this.

2) Emphasize the left hand more. When I stare at my right hand doing all those thirds so fast, I think about it more and more and it tends to tighten up. Once you know if well enough, focus on the left hand (There's a beautiful melody there, by the way) and you would think about your right hand as much. This will ease up your right hand and make the thirds more fluid.

3) Find the spot that is hardest for you and WORK ON IT. And I mean work on it. For me, the killer was at 51-52 and 55-56. Just couldn't do those for a while. I just played right hand alone very slowly, tried different fingering, listened to different interpretations, made some long and some short, accented different notes.... and after a while I got it.

4) Finally, play it everywhere. No, not on the piano. You can find me at the dinner table, at the bottom of the pool, in the baseball dugout, and (oops) even during the sermon at church, just playing those darn third trills and runs. Getting your fingers used to doing those at places you're comfortable with will A) give you lots of good practice with thirds and B) make you more comfortable when you're practicing and performing.

Overall, great job, keep up the good work!

Pencilart3
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 10:06:53 AM
Thank you pencilart3.

Actually I am looking at 10/2 currently and probably post a recording of that soon.

The problem is that I am having an injury coming and going for the last three years at my right hand 4-5 fingers . That surely affects my playing.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert