Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: How to Bring Forth Chopin Etude op 10 No 3 Towards Performance Level  (Read 1296 times)

Offline concertogrande

Dear Kind Forum Helpers,

Sorry to bother you guys. I have always seen great resources on this forum. I made an account just now. So I am at the final round (state) of a piano competition. This final audition, which is around 29 days, require me to perform (memorized) any Chopin Etude Opus 10 or 25.

I have never done any Etudes before. I have completed many Nocturnes and Preludes by Chopin, Impromptus by Schubert, and Beethoven Pathetique. However, I am a slow learner. It is also hard for me to memorize. Most pieces takes me around 3 month to complete.

I know this sounds impossible for me (even my teacher said so). But I still have a little bit of hope. I would love if someone could just give me some tips and helpful advices. I have school but I am willingly to dedicate my time.

I looked around the forum, and I am persuaded to tackle the "easiest" one, Opus 10 No 3. But I know it's gonna be a hard journey. It's okay though. I don't care if I win or not. It doesn't matter whether or not I will get accepted. I feel like this is something new for me, and that it will be a great practice on the behalf of my integrity and bravery. Winning doesn't matter. It's the process that to me is truly priceless.

Sincerely,
~C.G~

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
So you haven't even started?

I don't know if 10-3 is the "easiest".  I think there are many others that require less physical effort (10-5, 12; 25-9, 12)

The way I practice, by the time it's completely learned, it's already at performance level.  I do not build up anything, i.e. I don't memorize first, fine tune later.  I'd get started with any.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert