Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Piano Technique: The Relaxed Thumb  (Read 1881 times)

Offline music32

• PS Silver Member
Grad NYC HS of Performing Arts
Oberlin Conservatory
New York University (Master of Arts)
https://www.youtube.com/arioso7
Blogging at https://arioso7.wordpress.com

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano Technique: The Relaxed Thumb
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 07:59:32 AM
It wasn't clearly stated what the post was about.  It wasn't about technique of the thumb.  It felt like musings about the thumb.  The title seems misleading as well.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 10:21:12 AM
https://arioso7.wordpress.com/2015/01/10/piano-technique-the-relaxed-thumb/

Interested in sharing, feedback...

I don't actually have the foggiest idea what your blog entry is about. You keep mentioning the thumb, but you might as well relace it with "the butterfly" for all the sense I make of it.

The one bit I did kind of get, that you see the thumb as the anchor of your hand, seems to me just plain wrong. I don't mean by that that you don't see it that way, just that you shouldn't. It's a useful appendage, of course, but not what the hand revolves around.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline gr8ape

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 09:16:03 PM
The one bit I did kind of get, that you see the thumb as the anchor of your hand, seems to me just plain wrong. I don't mean by that that you don't see it that way, just that you shouldn't. It's a useful appendage, of course, but not what the hand revolves around.

well whats one of the distinctive traits of primates?
try playing a scale without your thumb
try using a hammer without thumb :p

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 09:49:32 PM
Both of which are possible without the thumb. In actuality, it is the third finger that is the anchor of the hand (if you look at your hand, you will see the bone of the third finger lines up nearly directly to the wrist bone). Try picking up a hammer without your third finger. Scales are possible but highly uncomfortable without the third finger (though arpeggios are not, but those don't use the third finger anyways). Typing without the third finger, once you get used to it, is oddly clunky. Holding a blade or weapon of any kind is harder. When activating any such mechanism with a push back or "recoil", it is also harder on the hand to keep a grip.

Offline gr8ape

Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 10:02:52 PM
Are you arguing that the thumb is a finger like all the other fingers? And you would rather lose your thumb than third finger?

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 04:16:24 AM
No, and no. I'm arguing that your third finger is the anchor of your hand, and the third finger is required for just as much if not more than your thumb for everything piano related.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 06:17:02 AM
No, and no. I'm arguing that your third finger is the anchor of your hand, and the third finger is required for just as much if not more than your thumb for everything piano related.

This is incorrect.  There is no "anchor".  Angle the hand to the side and the 2 now is the anchor.  Angle it to the other side and now the 4 or 5 is the anchor.  Insisting that a certain finger serves as the anchor for the hand is a very restrictive view of kinesthetics of the apparatus.  There is no "anchor".

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 06:20:24 PM
The last thing you need when you set sail is an anchor!
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline pianoplayer002

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 08:57:20 PM
What does "anchor" even mean in this context? "It's a useful finger"? Gee, so are all the others. All fingers should be equal, in their own special way.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 04:44:09 AM
As I meant, in the natural hand position (which is not straight out, as you know, it's curved somewhat), finger 3 is the natural balance point of the hand. Looking back, you are right, anchor is not the right word. And yes, changing position changes the balance point. But the beginning posture of the hands (wrists up, thumbs round, etc) places three as the natural point of balance.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 04:58:56 AM
If you mean the forearm rotational axis, then the 3 is not necessarily the central rotational axis.  That can shift by angling the wrist.  Some people's hands align more closely with the 2.  Mine align in between these two.

Offline gr8ape

Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 02:13:00 PM
in any case these kind of things can be debated forever if everyone's definition of the words differ...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert