Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Help me reading this part of sheet music.  (Read 1114 times)

Offline bombtrash

Help me reading this part of sheet music.
on: January 11, 2015, 07:04:43 PM
I have uploaded a part of the sheet music below. I have 2 questions regarding how to read that.

1.Look at the red circled part. In treble clef ,the first eighth note has a sharp symbol to it right? now the next note is a quarter note and its connected to the previous eighth note by a tie. Now is this quarter note, F or F#?

2.Look at the blue circled part. What is that bracket with number 3 above those notes in the bass clef? How do I count and play it?

I am new to reading sheet music and I don't even know if u guys can understand my question, nonetheless i've tried my best to put it up despite being a beginner.

Thanks. :D

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Help me reading this part of sheet music.
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 07:36:19 PM
1. Quarter note is F#.  An accidental affects all notes that follow it in a measure, unless otherwise stated.  Bar lines cancel accidentals.  Subsequent notes in the next measure return to normal (follow key signature), unless they are also changed by an accidental.  Ties carry the accidental along with them. 

2. The notes under the bracket labeled 3 are called a triplet.  Normally one would have 2 eighths to 1 quarter note.  These triplets specify that 3 eighths are to be played in the same time of a quarter note.  Think of it as taking a pie and cutting it into 2 slices, vs taking the same pie and cutting it into 3 slices.  
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 07:38:28 PM
1) It logically has to be F#, as you cannot hold a note and change it add the same time. Yes, that is F#.
2) Those are triplets, three notes in the time of two. You probably hear them all the time. If you don't know how to do it, there are plenty of resources online.

Congratulations on learning to read, it's a great skill to have!

EDIT: Ninja'd by Quantum

Offline bombtrash

Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 07:46:03 PM
Thanks guys. But one last clarification regarding 2nd question. So i have to play 3 eighth notes in the time i would have played 1 quarter note? is that right?

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 07:48:31 PM
Thanks guys. But one last clarification regarding 2nd question. So i have to play 3 eighth notes in the time i would have played 1 quarter note? is that right?

Correct.  Using my previous analogy: the quarter note is your pie, the eighth notes are your slices. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline bombtrash

Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 08:18:26 PM
Thanks. :D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert