Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Vinnitskaya/Elizabeth Music Competition.  (Read 1410 times)

Offline diomedes

Vinnitskaya/Elizabeth Music Competition.
on: January 23, 2015, 12:22:49 AM
I have many second thought about this, I generally as a principle do not criticize the work of others but this completely baffled me.

I clicked a link and saw a couple videos of Vinnitskaya in live winning performances at a 2007 Queen Elisabeth Music Competition. Am i imagining things or does she have a special talent for hitting wrong notes consistently and winning a significant competition? I realize it's a live performance, but it's also a competition. And i'd go farther and then say the musical approach generally was not even very exciting or impressive.
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Vinnitskaya/Elizabeth Music Competition.
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 01:03:44 AM
Well you, at least, can't fault her repertoire choices.

Seems the jury and many commentators disagree with you as to the merits of her performances.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline diomedes

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 01:36:28 AM
Seems the jury and many commentators disagree with you as to the merits of her performances.

It certainly does seem like they do disagree with my opinion, which increased my reluctance to express it. But the performances are messy which is a fact, I'm only inquiring to see what kind of opinions i might find around here.
Faure barcarolle 10

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 08:51:54 AM
I had the same feeling about Dennis Kuzhukhin... First I heard his first round, and thought "Oh, poor guy.. The jury is gonna kill him", then second round "well, at least now they have to see it.. right?!"
and the final was like "OH MY F..... GOD! GET HIM OUT DAMMIT!!!!"  Then he won.. so....

Offline wwalrus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 01:47:00 PM
Can you link the performance? just curious.

Offline diomedes

Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 03:55:22 AM
Ravel

for some reason my pc is acting strange and i can't find the Prokofiev, i'll put it up later.

I had the same feeling about Dennis Kuzhukhin... First I heard his first round, and thought "Oh, poor guy.. The jury is gonna kill him", then second round "well, at least now they have to see it.. right?!"
and the final was like "OH MY F..... GOD! GET HIM OUT DAMMIT!!!!"  Then he won.. so....

What in particular did he play that came across badly? I looked some of his playing up the other day, the mazeppa was generally fine.
Faure barcarolle 10

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 10:32:13 PM
I don't know, I don't remember. I didn't like his symphonic etudes, but that's all I remember. I also heard him recently in a live concert. Once of the few concerts where I got upset, and hoped for him not to play any encores...

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 11:22:24 PM
Ravel

That's a very good performance.  I can hear why she won.  Were her other performances particularly unmusical?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert