Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: memory  (Read 1368 times)

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
memory
on: January 25, 2015, 02:26:40 PM
I get the impression that I'm putting things into a black bag and somehow whenever I dip my hand in I grasp exactly what I wanted.  What's going on inside?  I'm perturbed.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Re: memory
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 03:52:02 PM
Well, I don't have such an issue...When I put my hand in the bag, I often grasp someting unappropriate.

I guess what you have is a well working file system, while mine has been corrupted ;)

Offline cwjalex

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 04:01:05 PM
memory is an interesting thing.  memory does not equal comprehension. the people who win memory competitions are people of average intelligence who have trained their memory to perform extraordinary feats like memorizing the order of several decks of cards in a short period of time.  the most effective way to remember something is create several connections to it as well as add a visual component. 

a study was conducted where 1 group of people were asked to remember a man's name Baker, while the 2nd group of people were asked to remember a baker as in the profession.  when asked months later to remember the word they found much more people remembered the profession than the name and this has to do with how we process information.  a man's name Baker is a piece of information that is in isolation (to many people) while a baker has many more pieces of information that are associated and people are able to visualize it.  one of the most common methods that memory competitors use to remember huge amounts of information is they add a visual component to something they try to remember, the "method of loci" or "memory palace". 

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 04:31:14 PM
Well, I don't have such an issue...When I put my hand in the bag, I often grasp someting unappropriate.

I guess what you have is a well working file system, while mine has been corrupted ;)
I think that's being a little unfair to yourself.  If you observe the phenomenon you'll find you have accuracy in the high 90%'s.   I think you'd have problems getting around otherwise.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 06:03:13 PM
I think that's being a little unfair to yourself.  If you observe the phenomenon you'll find you have accuracy in the high 90%'s.   I think you'd have problems getting around otherwise.

Now who says I don't?
Without Google I would be in big trouble...

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 05:13:18 AM
memory is an interesting thing.  memory does not equal comprehension. the people who win memory competitions are people of average intelligence who have trained their memory to perform extraordinary feats like memorizing the order of several decks of cards in a short period of time.  the most effective way to remember something is create several connections to it as well as add a visual component. 

a study was conducted where 1 group of people were asked to remember a man's name Baker, while the 2nd group of people were asked to remember a baker as in the profession.  when asked months later to remember the word they found much more people remembered the profession than the name and this has to do with how we process information.  a man's name Baker is a piece of information that is in isolation (to many people) while a baker has many more pieces of information that are associated and people are able to visualize it.  one of the most common methods that memory competitors use to remember huge amounts of information is they add a visual component to something they try to remember, the "method of loci" or "memory palace". 

another thing I have read or heard somewhere is making up a quick catch-phrase rhyme about Baker helps with memorizing Baker.  It is what TV or other ads use to get people to remember.

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 06:58:15 AM
Thanks cwjalex - Baker vs baker is interesting.  Is baker procedural and Baker declarative? With baker we visualize nonconsciously the procedure to get bread?   Is that what's going on in the black bag? In my mind I go to get bread and a picture of a baker nonconsciously appears?  Can something nonconsciously appear?  Too weird.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert