Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Etudes for building technique  (Read 2656 times)

Offline bernadette60614

• PS Silver Member
Etudes for building technique
on: January 26, 2015, 05:56:18 PM
The home page recently had an article on Phillip Glass writing 19 etudes to build his technique.  I'm wondering if anyone has used these etudes for that purpose or could recommend another series of etudes to build technique.

Thanks all!

Offline 1piano4joe

• PS Silver Member
Re: Etudes for building technique
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 08:46:15 PM
Hi bernadette60614,

I use the RCM series of etudes. There are 10 books in this series from grade 1 to grade 10. There is so much that can be learned from these even at the grade 1 level. I have them all. I had to order them as the local music store didn't stock them. This was the best money I ever spent.

I bought these a number of years ago and am still working my way up through them. I can't even begin to tell you how much they have transformed my playing. I can't recommend them highly enough.

These have some really unusual things like a sharp and a flat in the key signature. Etudes that change meter every measure. Another one changes dynamics every measure. Etudes for 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, etc. are all there. Scales, arpeggios, staccato, contrasting articulations, counterpoint, etc. One has three clefs and another three sharps in the key signature but not in the order expected of f#, c#, g#. It's definitely NOT "A major" of "f# minor".

Hand crossings, 2 note slurs, 3 note slurs, chord studies, rhythm studies, etc. and more.

I love these etudes. They are worth the trouble seeking out and the time spent studying them IMO pays huge dividends. Different composers, keys and styles. It's all there.

No, I don't work for them. It sounds like it doesn't it?

Many are quite enjoyable to play but some others well, are absolutely awful sounding to my ears.

Well that's all for now, Joe.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 09:06:22 PM
Where I live the RCM books are pretty much common place among students.  The RCM puts out a new syllabus and series of books every 7 years.  A lot of the former editions in the series can be found for change in yard sales and thrift stores.  While the repertoire may change with new editions, the educational value of the old books still remains.  In short, keep your eye out for old editions of the series.  Sometimes students may want to offload their entire collection. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 01:32:59 AM
I very much like the Cramer Etudes edited by von Bulow. Each one works on a basic movement and gradually increases the difficulty of the movement through the etude. They are also musically a lot more interesting than, say Czerny, and my teacher says they are a good step before the Chopin Etudes. I hated Hanon and Czerny, but enjoy Cramer a lot.

Offline eel05

Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 06:41:48 AM
@1piano4joe where did you get your hands on these books? I'm in the UK and can't seem to locate any at all!

Offline 1piano4joe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 04:57:14 PM
Hi eel05,

In the U.S. we have a chain of music stores called Sam Ash. They are one of the biggest music stores if not the biggest. They sell sheet music of course but there is so much out there that no one stocks it all. However, they are very happy to order anything at all for a customer.

One caveat, no returns on sheet music. Also, typically, you pay in advance.

Is there a big chain music store like that in the UK? I think they could be ordered directly from the RCM website. Have you heard of SheetmusicPlus.com? I don't know for certain but I believe they would ship almost anywhere. There is also Amazon.com. Ebay is a possibility or maybe Musicroom.com.

I found Forsyth Brothers Ltd, 126 Deansgate Manchester M3 2GR UK for you online. They could possibly order them for you.

I hope I have been helpful, Joe.

P.S.  Welcome to Pianostreet!

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 05:49:46 PM
Moskowski petite etudes.

Offline eel05

Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 10:20:50 PM
Ah thank you so much! My google searches are only throwing up US and Canadian sites! Found some on eBay and I'll try your suggestion now. Musicsheetplus has expensive shipping for only 1 item!

I'm hoping these will be appropriate for me to work on without my teacher as we usually stop over summer!

Offline rmbarbosa

Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 06:47:31 PM
you may freedownload the "Etudes pour piano" by Cramer.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert