Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Ornaments for the complete newbie  (Read 1372 times)

Offline newkidintown

• PS Silver Member
Ornaments for the complete newbie
on: January 28, 2015, 02:42:52 PM
Hello! Sorry I've made so many topics the past couple weeks, a lot's been happening musically...

My primary orchestra got new music the other day, and one of the pieces is Bach's Concerto for Clavier in D major. Since I only started lessons again a few months ago after five-ish years on my own, I've spent most of the past several years playing whatever I wanted, and that never included Baroque pieces (I was admittedly rather immature). So I'm rather excited to have a good chance like this to dive into Baroque-style playing, and I've learned a lot from rehearsal alone (I don't have another lesson for a couple weeks due to school), I'm just a little unclear on ornaments... Are there certain rules I need to know, specific types of ornaments, etc.? I just don't want to make an idiot of myself when the conductor is offering me such a great opportunity.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Ornaments for the complete newbie
Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 05:30:08 PM
This book is a good introduction, it is concise without too much academic ramblings:
https://www.amazon.com/Ornamentation-A-Question-Answer-Manual/dp/0882845497

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline rmbarbosa

Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 07:32:21 PM
Are you going to play one concert of Bach, without know how to play ornaments in baroc style??? Hum...
Search in this forum (on the right top of the page) because there is at least one post with how Bach itself played them.
Best wishes
rui

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 07:47:06 PM
Bach's own table of ornaments:

B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline newkidintown

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 06:17:27 PM
Thank you all! That table especially has proven itself very helpful. And @rmbarbosa: it's a student orchestra. These kinds of learning opportunities are why I joined.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert