Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Violin + Guitar + Trumpet + Piano = Bad piano progress??  (Read 1708 times)

Offline bonesquirrel

I own a Violin, Guitar (I want to play Slide Guitar), Trumpet and Piano obviously, all acoustic.

Piano is my primary instrument, like I have said on other posts, I practice about 3 hours a day on average. But after so long, I reach a point where I can only take so much of a piece(s) at once (learning Hungarian Rhapsody Number 5 and other Liszt pieces, I plan to record a Liszt EP in the future). I also learn a bit of Jazz along with the Classical (Hugh Laurie and Ray Charles stuff mostly, but also some older stuff, like Autumn Leaves). Also I can only play the piano so late, but I can play all other instruments as late as 9pm or 10pm.

I practice Piano before anything else. Then Violin for about 30 minute to an hour. Then the same with Guitar. Then the same again with the Trumpet. So sometimes I practice music pretty much the entire day (the rest of my time taken up by socializing, art, ATTEMPTING poetry and watching documentaries, I like Science) <- Kind of irrelevant, but just in case you were wondering. School has not begun yet.

Anyway, my question is, will my interest in these other instruments (Violin/Pizzicato for Romantic music, Trumpet and Guitar for Jazz) damage my Piano ability/progress. Give me an honest answer, because I have been told by some people that simply practicing Jazz on the Piano as a Classical pianist, can chip away at your Classical performance.

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Violin + Guitar + Trumpet + Piano = Bad piano progress??
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 12:17:32 AM
I, at least, can't see any particular reason why practicing other instruments should hurt you piano.  Nor why playing jazz should hurt your classical playing.

Keep in mind the distinction between technical ability and musicianship!  In a very real way,music is music, whether the instrument is a cheap flat top guitar or a Steinway concert grand.  Playing a variety of music on a variety of instruments can only help your appreciation for music itself -- at least in my view.

There are a couple of conflicts, of course, but you don't seem to be there: avoid mixing brass instruments (that is, if you are playing trumpet, don't pick up trombone too, never mind tuba or french horn!).  Avoid mixing bowed string instruments; if you are playing violin, best not to play viola or double bass, for instance.  Why?  The techniques are sufficiently close, yet sufficiently different, so they interfere.

I might also add that in my experience, at least, it is best not to mix piano with either harpsichord or organ.  Some do it and manage well, but again there is enough difference in technique, yet similarity, to be a little confusing.

But you should be fine.
Ian

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 09:33:40 PM
I agree with everything iansinclair has said, although I believe that once one has achieved a certain level of proficiency upon the piano, the study of harpsichord and organ become very beneficial indeed.

Playing more than one instrument is ideal!

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 12:34:54 AM
Probably only in terms of technique specific to that instrument.  That's time that could have been spent working on the other instrument.

But there's a trade off if you're doing piano or guitar (harmony) vs. trumpet or violin (melodic).  Violin will also tune your ears in more.  I'd probably put guitar a little lower than the others.  Every other instrument benefits from piano work for the harmony and key visuals I think. 

Jazz vs. classical... I have heard people play "with an accent" from jazz.  You can learn whichever you want.  Jazzers might say someone from the classical side plays too straight.  And you can do both.  Personally, I'd aim for both.  The ideas behind both are very useful.

I suppose the other concern is time... Are you doing music for a career?  Must be teaching then... Probably not performance on any of those.  If you're not doing music as a career, you might be missing out on the time you could have spent working on something that benefits that other career.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert