Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Need tips on memorizing Bach 12 little preludes #3 (c minor)  (Read 1701 times)

Offline peanutbutter

• PS Silver Member
I already learned the notes and the dynamics. My teacher asked me to have the entire piece memorized and up to speed next lesson, but it's so difficult to memorize because everything is just a bunch of broken chords... Maybe I haven't played it enough? Do you guys have any tips in how I could memorize it efficiently?

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Re: Need tips on memorizing Bach 12 little preludes #3 (c minor)
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 02:35:52 PM
Write it out as chords, not broken.  Write by hand or with notation, either way, some feel by hand is better for memory.

That's 10%.  90% is to listen to it many times until the sound is completely memorized. 
Tim

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 02:54:32 PM
how i go about it when i struggle memorizing through normal practice (memory usually comes fairly easy to me except for very modern stuff)
1. make sure you have it in your ear how it should sound. can you hum or sing the different parts/voices?
2. drill hands separate, you should word to memorize via repition and hearing individual voices, chunk it so you work in say 2 or four measure segments. repeat repeat repeat, do not move on to next without having solid memory on previous/current ones. 
3. start linking them.
repeat 1-3 as needed. usually does the trick. find a recording of it, listen it , a lot, during the day, and esp at night before you go to sleep. get the piece 'stuck in  your head'. it helps! :D

Offline peanutbutter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 09:10:52 AM
Sorry for my late post. It's done! I've memorized it, took it down to small bits and learned how the chords looked (and sounded)... Memory isn't usually the first of my problems, but in this particular piece it was... Thanks for your help!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert