Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: To avoid page turns, I acquired this latest add on  (Read 2065 times)

Offline music32

• PS Silver Member
To avoid page turns, I acquired this latest add on
on: February 07, 2015, 02:17:58 PM
Was cruising the Internet and needed something to extend my rack instead of using makeshift cardboard and big clips and here's what I found that I'm now using.
https://arioso7.wordpress.com/2015/02/06/piano-rack-extender-adapt-a-stand/
I have no financial tie to this company.
Grad NYC HS of Performing Arts
Oberlin Conservatory
New York University (Master of Arts)
https://www.youtube.com/arioso7
Blogging at https://arioso7.wordpress.com

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Re: To avoid page turns, I acquired this latest add on
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 09:20:25 PM
Did she really just take 7 minutes to explain how to put something on a music stand?

Offline slane

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 01:21:49 AM
But ... what happens if you have to play on someone elses piano?
And my poor old eyes have trouble focussing on pages 1 and 4, even with my glasses so 6 pages wouldn't work for me. And yes, I've tried multi-focals but I can't play wiht them, I don't know anyone who can!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 01:47:30 AM
What happens after page 6?

And I agree entirely about the need to move the pages, which seems totally overlooked - I certainly don't want to be reading above the bottom octave while trying to play in the top.

I used to play on an old upright where the page rest was basically the whole front of the piano. It really didn't have any great advantage. Three pages works OK, 4 if you've got great eyesight and it's a relatively simple piece, any more and it's easier to just turn the pages. Or actually rig the pages into a reasonably solid scroll/sheet and slide it (works for up to 8 but can be a right pain to create).
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 02:00:06 AM

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 01:59:26 PM
I use this strange think called memorizing music. Even before the entire piece is committe I memory I certainly memorize the end of the page and beginning if another then simply flip over myself quick at a good spot.  Wierd  thing . If I practice it , it becomes less difficult :)

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 05:11:10 PM
I use this strange think called memorizing music.

I too, love to memorize music, and can play a considerable amount of music by memory, on various instruments.

There are times, however, when memorizing music simply isn't possible, or at the very least, isn't practical. Those are the times when airturn comes in handy!  8)

Offline stevensk

Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 05:45:17 PM
I use this strange think called memorizing music. Even before the entire piece is committe I memory I certainly memorize the end of the page and beginning if another then simply flip over myself quick at a good spot.  Wierd  thing . If I practice it , it becomes less difficult :)

+1   ;D

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 05:52:35 PM

+1   ;D

Have fun memorizing piano quintets, piano trios, sonatas for piano and violin, sonatas for piano and cello, vocal accompaniment, piano duets, and piano duos!
 ;D

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 12:29:12 AM
Have fun memorizing piano quintets, piano trios, sonatas for piano and violin, sonatas for piano and cello, vocal accompaniment, piano duets, and piano duos!
 ;D
lel k not so fun i should have specified solo stuff any collaborative -ensemble - etc I use a page turner ur I make arrangements before performance to have support.  It's ine of the main reasons I hate learning concerto to perform w an orchestra or band.  It's a bigger to get it and the accompany parts committed to memory  8)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 01:28:15 AM
That is true about the number of "pages wide" that's functionally possible.  I've tape music together so I could rip a page off (then what to do with that?) or flip the whole thing over quickly. 

If it's solo, memorize.
If it's accompanied, have a page turner.

I thought the product was still interesting, but... If I'm practicing at home, cardboard is free and I tape/rig up something to hold music in place.  It becomes a pain to lean over to read it though at a point.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline slane

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 03:55:36 AM
I've seen someone with a 7 page piece have it in two lots, taped together, 3 and 4 pages. At the end of page 3 he just swooshed the first 3 pages off the piano and on he went. Very dramatic. :)

Offline stevensk

Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 05:30:09 PM

This is also a  dramatic situation, the pianist (Yuja)  turns two pages instead of one!  :o

Look at 2:20

Offline slane

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 11:23:33 PM
I use this:
https://www.airturn.com/
 ;)

What device do you use it with? And ...possibly a daft question... what foot do you use?

Offline slane

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 11:27:02 PM
This is also a  dramatic situation, the pianist (Yuja)  turns two pages instead of one!  :o

Look at 2:20

Wowee zowee -- she didn't seem to notice.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 12:22:49 AM
What device do you use it with? And ...possibly a daft question... what foot do you use?

I use it with a laptop, and a tablet. I'm planning to soon get a laptop/tablet combination device, I think they're called 360 degree hinge laptops, as the tablet is a little small, and the regular laptop is a bit large and ugly.

I usually use my right foot, but sometimes I use the left. It depends on the situation! I confess, I haven't had the airturn for a very long time yet. I'm getting more and more comfortable with it, but it does present quite a challenge at first when one is so used to turning pages with a hand! It's a great product, though, and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Offline diomedes

Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 03:40:15 PM
Did she really just take 7 minutes to explain how to put something on a music stand?

I got that impression too and left the video after the first 10 seconds.

Quite a while ago some type of contraption was created that is activated by the feet to prompt a turn, a button/pedal of sorts. It was a reasonably large monitor, but the trouble is I'm sure it costs a fair bit. Eventually I'll be in need of this for future, a page turn person is not an option.

Edit: I should really read the entire thread before replying, airturn I guess it's called.
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40

Offline stevensk

Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 03:59:35 PM

-Why not train your dog? Dont laugh! Dogs are capable of extremely advanced things.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 12:52:15 AM
Or... Practice it enough so you've memorized the edges and can flip pages yourself without completely memorizing the piece.  Or without having a huge wide sheet of paper across the piano.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert