Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Advices for how to play pianissimo  (Read 2236 times)

Offline mussels_with_nutella

• PS Silver Member
Advices for how to play pianissimo
on: February 12, 2015, 11:23:51 AM
Hello :)

I am trying to play pianissimo with the left hand and "normally" with the right hand, but it is impossible to me, I never manage to play it pianissimo, any note. I think it is possible in my piano, because from time to time some note sounds very weak (pianissimo), but i don't know how to turn this seldomness into always.

Any tip? :)

I have read in yahoo answers that the trick is to keep your hand with strength and a bit more above the keys than normally. I don't want to vice my technique (more than what it is jajaja).
Learning:
Liszt's 3rd Liebestraum

When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something
Shostakovic

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Advices for how to play pianissimo
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 05:02:23 PM
It may a problem with the piano.  Ask the piano technician about it.  If he says it's fine, then the problem is a pianist one. ;)

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 09:16:55 PM
I find that with slow melodies, playing purely from the literal tips of the fingers (a few millimeters under the nail) is a good way to ensure the "nail joint" doesn't collapse. To clarify, on any given finger, there are two joints after each knuckle. The second one, near the tip of the finger, must not collapse for any reason if you wish to play truely softly.
Also, Pianissimo does not always mean a decibel level, if in a melody. For instance, if you have a melody and accompaniment, such as the Mozart d minor fantasy, you must always keep the melody louder than the accompaniment, otherwise the melody is indiscernible over the accompaniment. In the Mozart, the beginning theme in d minor could have the melody at mF. Try to sing it; a very good soprano once told me that she would always sing to the person at the back of the auditorium.

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 10:07:12 PM
Hello :)

I am trying to play pianissimo with the left hand and "normally" with the right hand, but it is impossible to me, I never manage to play it pianissimo, any note. I think it is possible in my piano, because from time to time some note sounds very weak (pianissimo), but i don't know how to turn this seldomness into always.

Any tip? :)

I have read in yahoo answers that the trick is to keep your hand with strength and a bit more above the keys than normally. I don't want to vice my technique (more than what it is jajaja).

I dont know about any Yahoo tricks but what I did to accomplish one hand softer than the other was to practice scales that way. First do hands separate. with your left hand practice very loud and staccatto. Then immediately practice very soft and legato. Then loud and legato , soft and staccatto. Same thing for right hand. This helps to understand how to control each hand. For me it was almost instant progress .   

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 10:32:52 PM
I find that with slow melodies, playing purely from the literal tips of the fingers (a few millimeters under the nail) is a good way to ensure the "nail joint" doesn't collapse. To clarify, on any given finger, there are two joints after each knuckle. The second one, near the tip of the finger, must not collapse for any reason if you wish to play truely softly.
Also, Pianissimo does not always mean a decibel level, if in a melody. For instance, if you have a melody and accompaniment, such as the Mozart d minor fantasy, you must always keep the melody louder than the accompaniment, otherwise the melody is indiscernible over the accompaniment. In the Mozart, the beginning theme in d minor could have the melody at mF. Try to sing it; a very good soprano once told me that she would always sing to the person at the back of the auditorium.

Very good points here. It all requires control. I have heard the same thing about singing or playing to the back of the auditorium. It is also called projecting.

Offline mussels_with_nutella

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 11:29:14 PM
Many many thanks for your answers!! :)

I will try to learn it following the strategy of pianoplunker (staccato-loud, then legato-soft, staccato-loud...) and trying to stick to the suggestions of chopinlover :) Let's see tomorrow if I improve something!!! :D
Learning:
Liszt's 3rd Liebestraum

When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something
Shostakovic

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 11:33:57 PM
Singers and wind players will resonate with this: playing softer requires more support.  On piano, what that means is a well supported transfer of energy from torso through to finger tip.  Floppy joints will lead to inconsistent and difficult to control pianissimo. 

Practice playing fortissimo, then gradually decrease volume without letting go of the support.  Remember it is support you want, not unnecessary tension and inflexibility. 

Also remember pianissimo is a relative term.  That means everything you do contributes to the overall sound.  If your melody is supposed to be pp but your accompaniment is playing mf (unintentionally), the overall effect will sound unbalanced and not pp. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline barry1963

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 01:14:22 AM
great advice,thanks
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert