Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Performance related injury?  (Read 1260 times)

Offline 88dubs

Performance related injury?
on: February 14, 2015, 12:57:49 PM
Hello,

About a month ago, I was hired to play a pop music gig with a band in Al Ain, UAE. Since then, I've developed a slight numbness in the top of my right forearm (the hairy part, I guess you could call it) from my elbow to my wrist.

At first, I thought this was something unrelated, but then I noticed a tingling sensation whenever I played. We play 3-5 hours, five nights a week, and the music is extremely repetitive (as pop music usually is). It probably doesn't help that my technique has never been very good (very tense). So my questions are:

1) is this numbness a result of my playing?

2) Should I be alarmed about permanent and movement-impeding damage?

3) Has anyone experienced this before/Have tips about how to fix it?

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Re: Performance related injury?
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 01:58:39 PM
Make sure the piano's miked up so you can play quietly.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline stevensk

Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 04:07:48 PM
1) If your problem has has occurred from repetitive patterns, try to change fingerings, split the patterns and play it both hands

2) Play softly

3) Change repertoaire

4) Play more chord like style

5) Focus on relaxed playing

Offline pianoplayer002

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 08:33:54 PM
1) is this numbness a result of my playing?

99.5% chance that it is, since you describe your playing as very tense, and the problem started after you got a busy playing schedule.

2) Should I be alarmed about permanent and movement-impeding damage?

Yes. Pain, tingling, numbness and any other kind of discomfort in relation to your playing is your body telling you "stop doing this before you hurt yourself buddy".

3) Has anyone experienced this before/Have tips about how to fix it?

Yes, I used to be so tense I could only play an hour a day and still suffered from pain. Changing fingerings, playing more softly, changing repertoire are only temporary bandaids that do not solve the underlying problem. It is fully possible to fix.

The basics are that your arms, that is to say, shoulders (shoulderblades, clavicles etc), elbows, wrists, hands and fingers, must be completely flexible and soft while playing, no stiffness anywhere of any kind. The fingertips move to bring down the keys, and everything else follows their lead. Mentally your focus should be in the finger tips and having them guide all movements. If your finger joints collapse or your hand becomes all floppy and hard to control when you try to relax you know you are not focused in the fingertips yet. Do not stiffen the fingers to keep them from collapsing. Do not put pressure on the hand from above.

It's hard to describe playing sensations in writing since we're all different. Basically if it feels bad, it's wrong, if it feels good and feels like it releases tension it is good. Playing should feel effortless.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert