Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Etude op.25 no.12  (Read 1273 times)

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Etude op.25 no.12
on: February 21, 2015, 06:42:58 PM
I recorded this with the Zoom Q3hd. It has X-Y stereo mics, so if you don't like the sound try switching left and right headphones.

Comments, criticism are welcome.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Etude op.25 no.12
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 09:55:14 PM
Nice job, hakki!
I enjoyed this performance, and found it to be overall more impressive than your op. 25/6. There is a spacious quality to the phrasing here which I found a bit lacking in the other Etude. I like your choice of tempo and the quality of your sonority.

This study is extremely challenging in terms of accuracy and stamina, particularly the middle section. I find that hands separate practice, and hands together work SENZA PEDAL help significantly to raise standards throughout.

Bravo.

Offline pianist202

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 12:42:27 AM
try to clean up your tone, this will make your performance come off as more refined. Also, the notes of the arpeggios are not completely together. That is NOT GOOD. You do have a good amount of resonance, and you bring out the melody, although sometimes you can be a little harsh.
Finally, I personally play the melody notes with a very loose wrist so that they really sing and play the rest of the arpeggios pianissimo.

Offline rachmforever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 12:58:09 AM
You should try connect melody notes more between them. Too, they should sound more with highest notes in arpeggio than others. I mean that other notes in arpeggio should be only like padding and melody notes and higher in arpeggio should sound more. For my taste there was little sustain you can try add little more but maybe it sound like that only for me. It's just about making better dynamic now. Anyway great job  ;)
Chopin etudes op.10 No 1,3,12 op.25 No 12
Schumann and Grieg piano concertos A minor
Beethoven sonatas No.17, No.14
Rachmaninoff prelude B minor
and more...
learning:

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 05:42:42 PM
Thank you awesome, p202, rachm for listening and the feedback.

awesom:

Your comments are always right on spot and very helpful. You are right about the stamina and frankly it is not very easy for a man at my age.

p202, rachm:

I respectfully disagree about the sonority of the arpeggios. The score has only f, ff and at the end fff marks, with dim. and cres. in places. Yes, the first and third beats are accented, but  the arpeggios in between should be played with full tone.

Also, another bad habit (which I tend to do) is to extend the value of the first notes in order to emphasize. There are even pianists who almost play them as 8th notes instead of a 16th, which distorts the rhythm. Yes, that way it requires less to no stamina, but that is not the way it should be played.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert