Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Classical Composers  (Read 1229 times)

Offline oullman7130

Classical Composers
on: February 22, 2015, 08:08:07 AM
I'm wondering if there are any modern composers who write at least a substantial percentage of their pieces in the Romantic, impressionistic, or Late classical style. I'm not talking about stuff like the neoclassical piece Stravinsky's 'pucinella' which is written in more of a 'mozart' style, although you can definetly tell it had modern influence, I'm talking about someone more like chopin, beethoven, brahms, rachmaninoff, or debussy.
Thanks!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Classical Composers
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 09:42:26 AM
Given the number of people who have managed to completely erase he last 100-150 years from their consciousness, I suspect there are many. None worth listening to, of course. The originals were at least creative creatures of their time, not mere scribes of the historical.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline oullman7130

Re: Classical Composers
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 10:04:21 AM
I agree, I find it kind of unbelievable that seemingly ALL classical nowadays is an intellectual excercise instead of an emotional experience

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert