Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Dealing with extremely shy student  (Read 3376 times)

Offline missionarymama

Dealing with extremely shy student
on: February 22, 2015, 11:24:36 PM
Hi all,
I am a new teacher, just starting out my second year and I have quite a few young students (5-7yo) One little boy in particular is super shy. Most lessons I can't even get him to touch the keyboard or talk to me. He will be fine as we look at his theory book or play a game, but when it comes to actually playing he freezes! This is so frustrating for both me and his mom, who says he plays fine at home. Any suggestions on what to do to help him open up?

Thanks in advance!

Offline diomedes

Re: Dealing with extremely shy student
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 12:22:23 AM
Be patient with him and don't show frustration. He'll come around, once he gets used to you. How many lessons so far?
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40

Offline fifthelegy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 04:44:42 AM
Have you tried physically holding his hands and pressing the keys for him? The shy ones are more difficult to deal with I agree but I find what works most for me is making the lesson more personal. Talk to them more, make a goof of yourself, make it fun and if they are hesitant about doing something, ask them to copy you directly or even try doing it for them.
If he pulls his hand away then it may well be an issue other than shyness.
"Discipline is choosing between what you want now and what you want most."

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW1YqqvNgh7SMvfuEy9n23A

Offline missionarymama

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 10:51:09 PM
I believe this is my third month with him :( Thank you for the ideas!

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 03:34:18 AM
Try using the piano to "talk."  Instead of verbally communicating, use the piano to talk to each other. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline stevensk

Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 10:25:18 PM

Dont ask him questions, use nice cosily smalltalk that not requires his responds.
Play together, you in the bass, he in the treble. Play popular tunes (dont ask him which tunes he likes). Try "AxelF" (crazy frog) Harry Potter, Pink Panter, Pirates of Carrabien, Smoke on the water etc  (Ask his parents)

Offline love_that_tune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 01:59:58 PM
Sometimes I take their right hand turn it over and "talk to the hand".  You know, silly voice, "Now, it's your turn to play all right?  S'allright".  First I talk to my fingers.  I've actually been thinking lately about making a puppet of some kind.  I've put number stickers on fingers, etc. With five year olds, in the beginning, I have imaginary super-glue that I put on each of their fingers so that they can keep their fingers from flying up off the keys.

Three months is quite a while.  Are we sure the little dude isn't terrified?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert