Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Looking For Specific Hymn Piano Book  (Read 1392 times)

Offline mpflagler

Looking For Specific Hymn Piano Book
on: February 26, 2015, 03:32:31 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for a specific piano book I had years ago.  I don't remember the name of it but the cover had a white background with blueish-purple font.  I'm pretty sure there were bars and notes on the cover as well.  I only remember two songs that it contained which was Blessed Assurance and It is Well With My Soul.  I would say the level of it was intermediate.  I know that's not a lot to go on but if anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it!

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Looking For Specific Hymn Piano Book
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 11:49:06 PM
I can't give you a specfic hymnal for thse two, but they are both American Baptist hymns, so I would take a look in that group (including Southern Baptist).  You can also find the lyrcs for both of them at www.cyberhymnal.org -- Blessed Assurance is her: https://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/b/l/e/blesseda.htm.  The music for Blessed Assurance is here https://www.hymnsite.com/pdf/369piano.pdf
Ian

Offline mpflagler

Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 05:43:23 PM
Thank You!

Offline 8_octaves

Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 08:36:17 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for a specific piano book [...] I only remember two songs that it contained which was Blessed Assurance and It is Well With My Soul. [...]

Hi mpflagler,

in case you are still interested in a book which contains both of the hymns, there is one or two.

1. ) The Best Hymns Ever .-  Hal/ Leonard. Available: for example at Amazon.de.

2. ) https://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/accessories/tuition-books-dvds/26587-amsco-publications-the-piano-treasury-of-hymns

(addition: here, it says, is the complete list of this book's hymns: https://www.jwpepper.com/Piano-Treasury-of-Hymns/10034335.item#.VPdyQ-F0nIU )

3. ) The definitive Hymn collection.- Hal / Leonard. Available: for example at Amazon.de

4. ) The Best of sacred music : piano/vocal sheet music arrangements. Ventura, CA : Creative Concepts Pub., ©1998. Available: For example at Amazon.de

All of them contain, among other hymns, the two hymns you remembered.

Note, that there's a Schaum-book, too ( Album of hymns for piano ) and a Bastien-book, but i didn't try to search through their contents. Another note must be here, that, if you want to find books with specific content, STILL very few books - in comparison to the others - in the catalogues are properly recorded concerning all of their contents. Very many aren't. So there's a massive chance, that there are further hymn-books containing both of your desired hymns.

( I searched 40 pages of an online resource, each containing 20 -partly redundant- hymn books and their records per hand, so I saw 800 hymn books today  :), and selected from them the approved 4 you see above. ) 8)

Many greetings from 8_octaves!  :)
"Never be afraid to play before an artist.
The artist listens for that which is well done,
the person who knows nothing listens for the faults." (T. Carreño, quoting her 2nd teacher, Gottschalk.)

Offline mpflagler

Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 03:24:40 PM
Wow, thank you!  I will check all of those out.  It was a specific book I used to have and I really liked the arrangements in it. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert