Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Keith Jarrett solo improvisations  (Read 1517 times)

Offline diomedes

Keith Jarrett solo improvisations
on: March 04, 2015, 04:14:39 AM
For a very long time I admired his work, particularly the solo concerts that were close to the Koln concert (to me, that's the best). I'm aware of his Sun bear concerts too and like them.

Can anyone recommend more (doesn't have to be Jarrett) based on that style of playing.
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40

Offline stevensk

Re: Keith Jarrett solo improvisations
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 10:24:07 AM

Well, Hiromi Uehara can play anything in jazz  :)

Online ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 10:43:51 PM
It depends whether by "style" you mean the general principle of dynamic, spontaneous creation, or the use of restricted areas of keyboard vocabulary, such as those derived from jazz, as Jarrett mostly employs. There are many more interesting free improvisers in the former category than in the latter, Kyle Landry being an example. Some of his are very good, but he does restrict himself to more or less conventional romantic vocabulary. On the jazz side you could try players like Cecil Taylor or Jim Baker. You could also try using preference detecting applications such as Pandora to suggest players close to your favourite styles.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline diomedes

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 04:44:54 PM
By style i specifically refer to those concerts in particular that i mentioned. The reason for that being Keith Jarrett evolved radically, i intuitively am unable to relate to his later work (carnegie hall recital for example) and don't find wanting myself to make that effort at the moment either.

I have not listened to all the Sun bear concerts that he did and there are a few i found in my pile of things that are parallel to the year of the Koln Concert. But with those in mind i'd be interested to hear what else is out there. I'm completely uneducated as far as the jazz field goes.

I'll have a look at those you did mention, much appreciated.
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert