Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Offering Remote Lessons  (Read 2599 times)

Offline maestroanth

Offering Remote Lessons
on: March 05, 2015, 03:21:07 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm employed at a music studio called Philomusica and after 20 years, my bosses are going to retire the business end of May.  Which is around the time I need to start looking for a career in programming anyway. 

I was just thinking about starting my own little studio either by renting a room from another music store, or find a way with internet and technology, to offer piano lessons remotely?  Has anyone ever tried this?  I mean most I can think of off the top of my head is using live well-positioned cameras on both the pupil and teacher ends and give criticism over that?

Just curious what you all have to say.....all best
-Anthony (www.maestroanth.com)

Offline stoat_king

Re: Offering Remote Lessons
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 11:12:59 AM
Thats an interesting idea.
Im not sure how that would work with the cameras etc.
I sense it might feel a bit weird.

However, in principle I think it could work. I might even be interested myself.
I can see some possible advantages too. For instance if one of your students had a specific problem maybe they could email you asking for advice.

Good luck with it though - I think its a good idea if you can overcome the obvious problem of not physically being in the same room.

Offline randipiano

Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 11:44:31 PM
I've tried meeting with students using Skype on snowdays when there would be no other way to get together.  We worked on pieces they had already made progress on.  I have not, however, attempted to teach new students in that format.  I also think that teaching a beginner online would be difficult so much of the first few lessons requires more than just direct instruction. 

Skype isn't the best means to conduct a lesson either, or perhaps my connection is at fault.  Sometimes the sound would lag and I couldn't get a good impression of tone quality as it was being filtered through both the students' and then my tablet. 

I see that lessons are being offered online by instructors all around the world.  Some seem to have substantial backgrounds in performance and come from high caliper conservatories.  I'd like to take lessons from some of them myself, but only if I could be convinced that the quality of the audio is worth it. 

Looking forward to hearing other members' thoughts.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 12:11:08 AM
I have a friend who is a grade 3-4 ish pianist, though this encounter with classical rep is his first. We have tried lessons over Skype, and we've agreed that as an "every once in a while when it just doesn't work to meet", it's okay for what it is, as long as we can get a good connection. We have a good way of getting sound (both of us have gaming headsets that actually pick up a decent sound when placed within 20 feet of the piano; quite good for what it is), but even still we've agreed that it isn't a good way of teaching. If you're just getting some feedback from other pianists online, that's one thing, however, quality instruction is frustratingly difficult at best, and more than impossible at worst.

Offline maestroanth

Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 03:22:11 AM
Ya, the main thing that bothers me is the 'jaggedness' from it all. Usually, since I get rather hyper while teaching, and I work well with energetic students who can also focus well on a line of thought, issues such as 'camera angles' and what one member mentioned above 'delay in sounds', would be most annoying.  

I'm almost thinking a 'resolution' to the camera angle problem is to have the student have a cameraman (like say a parent or friend) that can shift angles accordingly on demand (they'd still have a tripod to set it on though so they won't constantly have to hold it) without the student having to get up each time.

Anyone else have any interesting ideas to execute this?

Offline anamnesis

• PS Gold Member
Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 08:16:33 PM
Ya, the main thing that bothers me is the 'jaggedness' from it all. Usually, since I get rather hyper while teaching, and I work well with energetic students who can also focus well on a line of thought, issues such as 'camera angles' and what one member mentioned above 'delay in sounds', would be most annoying.  

I'm almost thinking a 'resolution' to the camera angle problem is to have the student have a cameraman (like say a parent or friend) that can shift angles accordingly on demand (they'd still have a tripod to set it on though so they won't constantly have to hold it) without the student having to get up each time.

Anyone else have any interesting ideas to execute this?

Your best bet is to actually experience such a lesson yourself from a teacher who has experience with using skype.  I would imagine, experiencing it from the other end would be provide valuable insight. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert