Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Rach 2 second movement  (Read 1719 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Rach 2 second movement
on: March 09, 2015, 01:57:37 AM
The big climax in C sharp major where you have the 32nd note figure do you split it with two hands or do it with one hands?
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rach 2 second movement
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 02:11:28 AM
You mean try and play it as octaves? Or am I in the wrong place?
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline diomedes

Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 04:51:50 AM
where you have the 32nd note figure

The only 32nd notes in the mvt aren't real 32nd notes and aren't in c sharp +. The c sharp climax before has 16th notes.

split it with one hand
Split it with one hand? Too much to drink maybe?
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 08:16:20 PM
My bad you know what I meant though.

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 08:56:13 PM
I still don't. Can you post an image?

Offline diomedes

Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 04:00:47 PM
To answer the question, both spots your use two hands to play the octave unison passages regardless of their notation. Assuming those are the areas....
Faure barcarolle 10

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 04:08:26 PM
Rehearsal 23 treble clef.

Offline j_ol

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 07:22:15 PM
You mean the notes right before the 1-beat? I play it with my right hand. Fingering 1-3-5-1-3-5-1-5.
And I think it can be play with the first e-sharp as the 1-beat togheter with bass. In that way it completes the melody line right before in the left hand.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 10:25:22 PM
Fingering 1-3-5-1-3-5-1-5.

I agree.

@ R_4 - I'm a little surprised you haven't encountered this particular thing before.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline diomedes

Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 02:43:22 AM
My edition (Schirmer) makes it really difficult to understand those as 32nd notes, so that explains my confusion.

Should be ok to play it with the right hand. Doesn't matter in some ways, frankly you have bigger issues to worry about in general with the concerto.
Faure barcarolle 10

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 04:34:55 AM
I agree.

@ R_4 - I'm a little surprised you haven't encountered this particular thing before.

It's not hard it's just that when I'm in performance mode I might miss the high c# and smack the wrong note so I was wondering if other people split it.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 04:36:13 AM
My edition (Schirmer) makes it really difficult to understand those as 32nd notes, so that explains my confusion.

Should be ok to play it with the right hand. Doesn't matter in some ways, frankly you have bigger issues to worry about in general with the concerto.

Haha that looks like a really thick 8th note beam.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 04:41:00 AM
If you split it, you've got your hands moving in opposite directions - RH up to that C# and LH down to the bass. Twice the risk, and less coordination. If you don't split it, you've only got that C# to think about, and you can even look to check.

Offline diomedes

Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 06:05:25 AM
If you split it, you've got your hands moving in opposite directions - RH up to that C# and LH down to the bass. Twice the risk, and less coordination.

Splitting it isn't a terrible idea, but i have not played it. I'll continue to insist that there are bigger problems with the concerto in general.

When do you split it, the leaps are not of equal nature. The left hand moves much more of a distance, compared to the right hand. Not very much risk involved. I can see the split as being of interest on an intuitive level. If it helps you play it accurately, play it with your toes is my point of view. But you have bigger problems ahead of you.

OP, you have more experience with the context, do what gives you better accuracy. By my estimate, i'll get around to this concerto within 1 to 2 years, check back with me then, ok?
Faure barcarolle 10

Offline j_ol

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 08:10:58 AM
If you're unsecure about the top c-sharp note, then use 3,4&5th finger at once to hit that note.
That works pretty well!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 10:10:39 PM
If you're unsecure about the top c-sharp note, then use 3,4&5th finger at once to hit that note.
That works pretty well!

Then I'll hit a tone cluster of D# c# and c natural lol

It's cool though. 

I recorded it and it turns out you don't gotta whip it that fast.  So I'm still doing it with one hand but just playing ti slower.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert