Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: I can already play very well... but i want to relearn properly!  (Read 1293 times)

Offline elliosis

Hello,
I am looking for some advice. I can already play the "keyboard" to a reasonably high standard, and have a strong understanding of scales, keys, chords, etc etc. About 12 years ago I had both violin and keyboard lessons in which I learned to read music with the treble staff, but i never had true piano lessons and therefore didn't develop proper hand independence and did not learn to read music in the bass clef.
I have since forgotten most of the reading music, and now learn by ear. I would like to relearn to play the piano properly and read music  with both hands, and am looking for suggestions for books which would help with this. I don't feel like I need any lessons as my technique is fine, but I think a good book would be great!

Thanks in advance,
Elliot

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
You still need lessons. You said yourself that you never had true piano lessons (and ingrained bad technique as a result of that, nullifying your reasoning), why deprive yourself of that now that you can enjoy them?
They're quite a marvelous thing :)

Offline elliosis

When i say I never had true piano lessons, i mean I instead had keyboard lessons in which the left hand was more chord-based. I am very confident that I have no bad habits, only that my left hand isn't as good as my right!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert