Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Sudden passion for guitar... My passion for piano is still present  (Read 1777 times)

Offline bonesquirrel

Hello everyone, I was wondering I you could give me your honest opinion on something.

So very recently, I started listening to a lot of guitar music (I play trumpet also). I have started really getting into the guitar, I learnt the whole James Bond theme, as well as a few chords and scales. I am starting to get really passionate with the guitar, the same kind of passion I got for piano when I first started playing.

My problem here is, that it still love piano just as much as I love guitar now, and I am worried if it is really possible to get very good at both at the same time. I have been learning a bit of ragtime (Scott Joplin right now) and getting more into Jazz and Boogie Woogies with my piano, the only (solo piano) classical I really like playing anymore is Rachmaninoff and Liszt. When I say good at guitar, I mean a Mike Dawes kind of guitar skills. I am interested in solos only (not playing chords while someone sings, for example).

Offline stoat_king

I dont think you have anything to worry about at all.
Obviously, if you spread your practice time across two instruments then your progress is likely to slow down for the piano.

I cant get my head around the guitar at all - it just makes no sense to me.
I strongly suspect the only disadvantage to you piano skills will be the practice time you are sacrificing.

Just a thought - if you like guitar solos, check this out:

Offline stevensk

YES  it is possible to get very good at both at the same time!!

I play piano at a professional level and the violin at a fairly good amateure level.
Julia Fisher is extremely good violinist and at same time a quite good pianist

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
i play piano at a professional level and i gig with the guitar--my husband is a jazz guitarist who plays a pretty mean piano, too.   We switch instruments sometimes when we perform.   I am of the opinion that you are the same musician on any instrument--and also that if you can play the piano you can play anything.

My daughter sings, plays piano, guitar, and is 1st chair Fr. horn.   

though playing guitar may interfere with your piano time here and there--it will add to your musicianship in ways you haven't even thought of.  i.e. Should you ever find yourself competing for a position in a working band--playing more than one instrument is a big plus. 

so keep it up!  ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert