Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Charles-Valentin Alkan "Zorcico" [[UPDATE: BETTER RECORDING!!]]  (Read 2333 times)

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
***UPDATE***
Better recording here! Deleted the old video.

This is Charles-Valentin Alkan's "Zorcico," a slow dance in 5 meter. I hope you enjoy!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Charles-Valentin Alkan "Zorcico" [VIDEO]
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 11:38:40 PM
Lovely, if a little stripy. ;D

Have somehow missed this one before, so very pleased to make it's acquaintance. Are you doing the full 3?
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 01:18:16 PM
It sounds badass, I'm glad to have heard this one. Btw above poster used the wrong "it's/its"

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 02:16:01 PM
It sounds badass, I'm glad to have heard this one. Btw above poster used the wrong "it's/its"

Maybe he/she posted from a smart phone or tablet, and autocorrect erroneously changed it, as happens to me all the time with my iPhone.

But thank you for the comment! It's a very quick learn.

And j_menz, sorry, what do you mean by "the full 3?"

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 11:05:03 PM
Hmm... a quick initial serach suggested this had been recorded by Bernard Ringeissen and was part of Alkan's Op 32(2) being of three pieces - as per here.

Further research reveals Wikipedia's list of compositions shows it as without opus number and completely separate from Op 32(2) (which is indicated as having 4 pieces in it) - see here.

Seems I confused myself, and in the course of that, you.   :-[
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 05:20:44 PM
I see now. I've always seen it listed as without an opus number. Op. 32 contains two books of four impromptus each, eight total.

There is another piece called "Reconciliation" Op. 42, even rarer than this one (no recording exists, and Mark Viner is the only pianist I know of to have even performed it), and the middle section goes into 5/4 and is marked "Zorcico." I'm interested to hear the piece... Maybe I should learn it?

Offline cbreemer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 04:25:31 PM
A weird and wonderful piece, as most of Alkan's are. Well played I think, but it's hard to judge... the sound quality is not much better than the video quality.

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 03:12:58 AM
Here is a better quality recording!!

https://app.box.com/s/noyymso5icwve6lro24kz2cppzlruldr
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert