Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: [VIDEO] Please evaluate my wrist height, hand position...everything!  (Read 1488 times)

Offline jacobrudduck

• PS Silver Member
I am currently going through a crisis of faith with my piano technique. I have been self-taught for years and now I am worried I have done it all wrong.

Mostly the main concerns are of my wrist height, I think it is too low. I also suspect my hand position is incorrect at times, as sometimes my index finger of my right hand collapses at the DIP joint, especially when playing scales.

Here is a short video of me playing. I am practising Mozart's Rondo Alla Turca, some major scales and some chromatic scales. Ignore the audio, it for some reason did not sync so I just muted it after the first section.

I hope you can actually tell anything from this video.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
I'd hold your wrist *just* a bit higher, but that's more personal taste.
If you wish to keep your DIP joint (is this the nail joint? Either way this is still applicable) from collapsing, try playing from the literal tips of your fingers.
You may also consider playing some repertoire and exercises that is good for developing technique. For these, I would recommend Clementi Sonatinas, Op 36 Nos. 1 2 and 3, the Bach little preludes and inventions (if you haven't played the former, be sure to do so before studying the latter), Beethoven sonatinas perhaps... Oh, and Czerny etudes, no matter how boring they are, develop finger strength and develop it well. But better than Czerny for some purposes, is your.... Scales and arpeggios  ;D All keys, 4 octaves, both hands, should be your end goal. First start with hands separate one octave if you must.
Many of the following things I mentioned are available for free in the form of a pdf here on PS. The Clementi is, the Bach inventions are, and the scales are. The rest is also probably largely available on musescore or noteflight. So, there's some stuff to get you started :) If you choose to play those pieces, feel free to submit some recordings in the audition room!

Offline jacobrudduck

• PS Silver Member
Thanks for your response!

Sorry the video didn't give much to go on, I don't really have a repertoire right now as I am concentrating on technique solely. How is my elbow height? I have a strangely proportioned body and I'm not exactly sure how high I should be sitting - or rather, I am questioning everything about my technique.

Yes, that would be my nail joint. I used to play more on my fingerpads before I found out that this was incorrect, so I had to spend time focusing on playing more on the tips. The problem is most common in the right index finger. If I concentrate it usually doesn't happen. but it slips here and there.

The reason I ask all this is because I used to play regularly, but due to various factors in my life stopped playing for months. I have returned to playing, but my practise is very scattered - hence the crisis of faith.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
The best solution is to get a teacher. They'll be able to help you more than an internet forum   ;)

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member

Offline stoat_king

I too am self-taught and occasionally suffer from a crisis of faith such as you describe.
I think that its an inevitable consequence of being self-taught.

Offline jacobrudduck

• PS Silver Member
chopinlover01, I am due to start lessons in six weeks! Hence why I am re-evaluating myself, and scrutinising everything that I do. I guess I am scared that my teacher is going to take one look at my playing and say 'we have to change everything.'

bronnestam, thank you for the link! The close-ups of the hands and the side angles are very useful. I will watch the instruction videos too :)

stoat_king, yes I think so too that it is inevitable; when you don't have an experienced and watchful eye on what you are doing and letting you know what is good and what needs improving...you doubt yourself.

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member

bronnestam, thank you for the link! The close-ups of the hands and the side angles are very useful. I will watch the instruction videos too :)

Yeah, the instruction videos were the main point, so to speak ...  ;D  I know this guy, his technique is extremely good and I know few who can look so comfortable and relaxed at the piano. (And practice so darn much without getting tired.) But I asked him once about those sometimes high finger movements and he said they are for getting rid of tensions. So I suppose they are not to be copied unless you don't feel they are doing you good.

When I watch your own video I don't think it looks THAT bad but I believe you should pay attention to your shoulders. I may be wrong, but it looks like you are a bit tense and if that is the case, you must do something about it. The instruction videos will give you some guidance here. And if you find a teacher, which of course is highly recommended, make sure you find someone who has specific interest and knowledge about posture and ergonomy - you don't want a teacher who can teach you everything about Bach, but has no training in helping students with your particular issues.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert