Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: VIDEO: Grand Waltz Brilliante op.18  (Read 1203 times)

Offline rachmanny

• PS Silver Member
VIDEO: Grand Waltz Brilliante op.18
on: March 22, 2015, 08:47:45 AM
I am revisiting this piece to use it for a piano performance program audition. In this recording I feel a marked improvement compared to my previous iterations posted (when I played it for the first time, and then there was the second rendition a few months after), and now after putting it away for a while I am looking to do some musical polishing. Suggestions will be most welcome!

The rest of my audition program will include:

Prokofiev op.43b Diverstissement
Mozart Sonata k280 in F major
Bach BWV 866
(I really wanted to put in the more technically demanding Beethoven variations op.76 instead of this Waltz, but decided it give it a long rest and use it in the future rather than now. I will however post my latest recording for the variations sometime this week)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: VIDEO: Grand Waltz Brilliante op.18
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 11:59:13 AM
I think my biggest criticism is that it's static and uniform throughout.  There is absolutely no variation in color and dynamics.  Each section has its own character and personality.  This waltz is not easy.  Musically.  It can tend to fall into a rut and  become boring.  You really need a seasoned artist to bring out its joviality(?).  And what is this with this sudden presto in the last apparition of the theme?!  It should be big and grandiose, not rushing to the finale.  Save that for the end.

Offline rachmanny

• PS Silver Member
Re: VIDEO: Grand Waltz Brilliante op.18
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 02:33:19 PM
Thanks for the criticism. You definitely gave me a few things to think about to get it ready for my program admission audition in July. I am actually not as seasoned as one would expect me to be at my age, its a long story, but I will find a way to bring out each section in a unique manner.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert