Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Recent obituaries. They make us sad.  (Read 1536 times)

Offline 8_octaves

Recent obituaries. They make us sad.
on: March 22, 2015, 04:39:45 PM
Hi all,

yesterday I accidentally read about the death of Jessy (or: Gessy) Braga, a Brazilian pianist, whom I had read of - and listened to on YT - when she was still alive. As far as I can understand from

https://campinasnostalgica.wordpress.com/tag/jessy-braga-correa-de-souza/

12.01.14 – Após sofrer uma queda e fraturando o colo do fêmur, passa-se por uma cirurgia de prótese da qual ocorreu tudo bem. Horas depois falece, a grande pianista, JESSY BRAGA CORRÊA DE SOUZA, aos 97 anos.   

, she died by unexpected consequences of a femoral neck fracture and implant. ( (?) But I cannot speak or really understand Portuguese language, can only puzzle it together.)

She played, as we can see on YT, until old age, e.g. at 92 or 94 years!!

It makes me sad, when such people die!  :'(

Please feel free to add further obituaries of the last years, which make you / us sad.

Greetings, 8_oct!
"Never be afraid to play before an artist.
The artist listens for that which is well done,
the person who knows nothing listens for the faults." (T. Carreño, quoting her 2nd teacher, Gottschalk.)

Offline stevensk

Re: Recent obituaries. They make us sad.
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 09:22:51 PM

-She lived til 97 yeras old? What sad about that? She is extremely privileged. 

Offline 8_octaves

Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 09:46:19 PM
Hi stevensk,

yes, from that point of view: of course. She certainly had a fulfilled life! But I'm always sad when people die, not only when they die after a long life, but when they die very quickly, and very young, too!

But...(now it's going to be a little complicated) :

I personally won't decrease my amount of sadness, when older people die, in favor of an increasing amount of happiness (because they died after having lived a fulfilled life).

On the other hand, my amount of sadness won't increase when younger persons die, in favor of a decreasing amount of happiness (because they didn't get the chance to live a fulfilled life for many years).

Older people, like Jessy Braga, are sources of wisdom. When such wells dry up, it makes me sad. :(

Cordially, 8_octaves!

the person who knows nothing listens for the faults." (T. Carreño, quoting her 2nd teacher, Gottschalk.)

Offline stevensk

Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 09:58:34 PM
Well, Im sorry if I was clumsy and insensitive

Offline 8_octaves

Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 10:10:22 PM
No, don't worry, stevensk.  :)

It's a point of view I can fully understand! But what I imagine, is, for example, how much knowledge persons like J. Braga, and others, too, who died after a very long life (e.g. Horszowski), could transfer to children, pupils, etc., if they won't die at all.

But - not dying at all - which means: to live forever -  seems to have serious disadvantages, too, I think.

Cordially, 8_oct!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert