Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Rach 3 third movement  (Read 1464 times)

Offline perfect_playing

Rach 3 third movement
on: March 28, 2015, 10:38:27 AM
Hey guys

what's your favourite interpretation of the second subject in the third movement on Rach 3?

everybody does it differently with different amounts of pedal, different speed, some people bring out the descending chromatic in the LH octaves etc.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rach 3 third movement
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 10:53:37 AM
Oh, for heavens sake. We'll be asked for a "who's your favourite bar X" next.  ::)
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline perfect_playing

Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 10:58:13 AM
This isn't one of those: which of the 4 ballades is your favourite threads!!!
I'm actually really curious as to which interpretations you guys prefer most!!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 11:01:17 AM
This isn't one of those: which of the 4 ballades is your favourite threads!!!

No. It's worse.

I'm actually really curious as to which interpretations you guys prefer most!!

Really? Just that particular bit?  Do you not care what the rest sounds like?  Doesn't context count or something?
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline perfect_playing

Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 11:04:36 AM
Obviously I care about how the rest sounds like! OK I get your point that context does count, but I've heard so many different ways of doing it, and have been practising different ways of playing it myself, and I can't make up my mind which way I want to do it!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 11:13:35 AM
Obviously I care about how the rest sounds like! OK I get your point that context does count, but I've heard so many different ways of doing it, and have been practising different ways of playing it myself, and I can't make up my mind which way I want to do it!

Well, I'm not unsympathetic by any means, but context really does count.  Any part of a piece is just that, a part, and how it fits depends on it's place in the whole. It's logical and contextual place in the whole.  You can't take your favourite bits from all over the place and glue them together and expect it to sound other than a god-awful kluge job.

Offline perfect_playing

Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 11:23:11 AM
I get your point. But what do you do when, in the context of everything else, you feel there are several ways of playing a section such that when you consider the whole piece it fits together nicely. How do you choose which way to play that part?

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 11:26:02 AM
Oh, for heavens sake. We'll be asked for a "who's your favourite bar X" next.  ::)

Mine's bar 235... That just gives me goosebumps ever time.    ;D

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 11:31:55 AM
Mine's bar 235... That just gives me goosebumps ever time.    ;D

That's because you start drinking at bar 3.  :P

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 11:36:08 AM
I get your point. But what do you do when, in the context of everything else, you feel there are several ways of playing a section such that when you consider the whole piece it fits together nicely. How do you choose which way to play that part?

There are several way of playing any section. It really boils down to telling a story, taking a journey. There's no "right" answer, just one that fits at the time. It's one of the privileges of being a pianist that those multiple options are always present. Also one of the curses - at least until one comes to appreciate how truly special that is.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert