Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: I like fingering  (Read 1353 times)

Offline toby1

• PS Silver Member
I like fingering
on: March 30, 2015, 12:13:47 PM
No really, I just started looking at an etude by Moscheles and I'm taking an obscene amount of pleasure in crossing out the written in fingering and replacing it with the 10 times more comfortable version I've been working out for myself.

Anyone else finding this happening to them?

Offline michael_c

Re: I like fingering
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 02:05:07 PM
Oh yes! Sometimes I wonder if the editor actually tried out the fingering they proposed.

Finding a fingering that really suits your hand and your technique is often the key to successfully performing a passage. I'm always on the lookout for better fingerings and may decide to change them even in pieces I have played for years.

Offline landru

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 08:17:17 PM
I agree that it can be totally satisfying to make it comfortable for your hand, as long it all works out in the end that is. Sometimes you get all excited about a fingering that seems totally cool and of course it doesn't work out for any number of reasons...

And then there is the other extreme: I have an old book of Mendelssohn's Songs without Words whose fingering is totally made for my hand - I can play a level above my usual level just because the fingerings make the difficult parts so much easier. My hands must be the reincarnation of that editor's hands!

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:19:50 PM
I've found this to be very fun indeed. Also, props to you for playing Moscheles, he's very underrated IMO.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 11:20:55 PM
It's a satisfaction which eludes me since I ignored them all along (mostly).
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 11:39:18 PM
It's a satisfaction which eludes me since I ignored them all along (mostly).
Similarly, I actually don't consider fingerings to be a part of the score ever (except in a few cases, such as Chopin's 10/2), but I meant the joy of finding that one fingering for a difficult passage that makes everything golden.

Offline chopincat

Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 11:53:34 PM
Yes, a fingering can give you an obscene amount of pleasure, be satisfying, and be very fun indeed ;)

Sorry, I had to.

Offline dosan12

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 12:28:39 AM
I hate scores with fingering on them, when I play, I don't want those things to block my view, they look like blobs of ink spattered on the page(to me anyways), they aren't even useful(for me and my weird technique) and when I sight-read they distract me, I have learned how to ignore them however, but I still don't like having them on the page. Sorry but I really don't like fingerings.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 12:35:35 AM
Yes, a fingering can give you an obscene amount of pleasure, be satisfying, and be very fun indeed ;)

Sorry, I had to.
My god XD It wasn't dirty until you came along!

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 01:22:00 AM
Though, to be fair...
A good fingering is usually best when you do it yourself, not by some other guy ;)

Offline toby1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 12:04:57 PM
Bahaha to the naughty comments.

My teacher suggested Moscheles as a project. I wanted to do some etudes for fun. One day I plan to tackle some of Chopin's.

I'd also love to learn a few of Debussy's, particularly the octaves one and his first dedicated to Czerny for the humour.

Offline chopincat

Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 09:11:28 PM
Bahaha to the naughty comments.

Naughty? All I did was repeat what you guys had already said! You did say that fingerings give you an obscene amount of pleasure  ;)

;D

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 10:09:57 PM
You added a winky face though. It makes all the difference!
Though to be fair, I kind of made a pedophilia joke XD ("Better done by yourself than by some old dead guy")
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert