Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 (Voicing Problem)  (Read 1127 times)

Offline aklvkk

• PS Silver Member
Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 (Voicing Problem)
on: April 03, 2015, 05:01:07 AM
Hello,

I'm currently practicing Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 by Liszt, and have a trouble voicing a certain passage. It's in the Tempo guisto-vivace section, where the right hand alternates between C# and the melody (D# - B - A# - B - D# - B - F# - D# ...). The C# at the top comes out louder than I want it to be; when other pianists perform, they seem to subdue the top C# at a volume lower than the lower notes (melody). This is especially difficult considering the pp dynamic marking and the rapid pace at which the hand need to alternate between the notes.

Does anyone have a suggestion/technique they use to subdue the C# at the top and bring out the melody at the bottom (for the right hand)? I'd appreciate any input!

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Re: Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 (Voicing Problem)
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 05:56:28 PM
This is also an issue for the famous Liszt paganini etude "La Campanella", with the melody consistently going up to a top D#. Seems Liszt loved to do that.
I like to think of going down all the time, and practicing rhythms to that. 16th note (semiquaver) to a dotted eight (dotted quaver) on the bottom.

Offline diomedes

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 06:32:23 PM
Keep your hands as close to the keys and make sure you know your notes. That's about it.
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 05:30:11 AM
Assuming you're using the best movements, weight the thumb.

If you aren't using the best movements, i.e. you are pivoting at or close to the elbow for the leaps, then that's the problem.  The pivot is somewhere in the center of your forearm.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert