Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Looking for feedback on a WIP piece  (Read 1077 times)

Offline bustthewave

• PS Silver Member
Looking for feedback on a WIP piece
on: April 04, 2015, 04:20:11 AM
Hey guys. So a friend of mine has begged me to play at her wedding despite my insistence that I am far from a professional. This is the most challenging piece of the ones I'm doing (Melodies of Life, originally composed by Nobuo Uematsu, piano rendition by Michael Huang). I've spent about 3 months on it so far, and have about a month left to fine tune it/finish it. I don't have a teacher (can't afford one right now) and I'm getting nervous.

Specifically with this piece, I'm struggling with pedaling. Half pedaling on my piano doesn't seem to sustain the bass notes at all (I'm not sure if that's normal, or if it's a problem with my sustain pedal), which causes me some issues with the many left hand arpeggios.

Secondly, I've been trying really hard to ensure my dynamics are good. There's a lot of places in this piece where the melody feels like it should be rising and falling in intensity to me, and I'm not sure I'm doing it justice.

Lastly, the difficult runs. I have very little experience with runs. I've been practicing them rigorously with a metronome, and trying to play them with a proper technique (difficult without a teacher). I'm wondering if I'm headed in the right direction with them.

Having trouble getting the youtube video to appear. Here's the link while I work on that:

Link to sheet music:
https://www.geocities.ws/ercchn/melodiesoflife.htm
If it would be easier, I can upload each page as an image.

PS. I'll be updating this post soon with the sheet music. Also, any other additional feedback/critique always welcome.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: Looking for feedback on a WIP piece
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 08:12:31 AM
Okay, the performance doesn't sound that bad, however I have a far more pressing question - why did you flip the video to be mirror imaged??? That's the weirdest thing I've seen...

Only because I figure AHAMAY don't make pianos.

Offline bustthewave

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 11:11:12 AM
Okay, the performance doesn't sound that bad, however I have a far more pressing question - why did you flip the video to be mirror imaged??? That's the weirdest thing I've seen...

OMG That's what the problem is!!! Ha, I knew it looked weird, but just assumed I wasn't used to seeing myself play or something. I just got a new webcam, apparently it flips the image automatically... hopefully there's an uncomplicated fix for that.

And thanks for the feedback on the performance :).

EDIT: Rewatched the video a moment ago, and finally got your AHAMAY joke rofl! Gawd I'm glad my ears are better than my eyes.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 11:12:35 AM
why did you flip the video to be mirror imaged??? That's the weirdest thing I've seen...

Of course they do. For left handed pianists - bass to the right, treble to the left - just turn the score upside down.   ;D
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert