Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: How to play Bach?  (Read 2443 times)

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
How to play Bach?
on: April 04, 2015, 03:38:31 PM
(I know this is better in the 'Student's Corner', but I really need more help!)

Hi,
             How do you practice Bach to a higher standard? I think the singing tone for Chopin is too deep. I mainly want a clearer, lighter, more even sound.
              For example, Simone Dinnerstein and Andres Schiff. They play so polished, so simple sounding.
              Also, I heard kids around my age who won huge awards. Their touch is so good! And then I hear less "polished" kids, who play much harder pieces as well as the required Bach. Each note seems to bring new burden, making the piece sound so difficult. Heavier touch, but my teacher doesn't seem to care. How do I create clearer, less murky, more even, and lighter sound?
              Thanks!

Offline marijn210999

Re: How to play Bach?
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 04:32:59 PM
Hi.

What specifically is your question actually? Since you're topic's name is - How to play Bach? - and in the topic itself you ask how to gain a light touch. Which one of the questions would you like answered?

BW,
Marijn

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 04:38:19 PM
 Hi,
 The main question is how to bring Bach to a higher standard?
 thanks!

Offline marijn210999

Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 05:38:58 PM
Look. I don't want to be a killjoy here, I just would like to help you. That, I only can do if you ask more specific question. If you ask: "How to bring Bach to a higher standard.", I can begin and write about all aspects, I think are important for playing Bach at a high standard. But that will be only my opninion. Just tell me what you think is important to bring Bach to a higher level, then, if you have done that, I will be able to help you reach those aspects.

BW,
Marijn

Offline slane

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 03:06:43 AM
I wonder if what you're hearing as a simple and polished touch, is an articulated touch?? A lot of articulated notes and very short phrases (or slurs)? So that it sounds very open?
Some people play bach in a horrible fashion with this weird sticky feeling on every 5th note (or something)
https://open.spotify.com/track/7j3BLV9aYcstI5nFA0B9Bb
where as, angela hewitt plays with quite a separate articulation? Before Glen Gould it was quite common for Bach to be played in a romantic style, that would make it sound heavy too.

Maybe?

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 08:49:45 PM
YESSSS!!!! ;D ;D ;D

I couldn't find a word to describe it to marijn, but YOU DID!!! And its not just every 5th note, it was on most notes :(.

So, what I mean is less heavy and sticky.

Thanks!!!

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 01:06:29 AM
Actually, the word I think fits is "delicate" :)

Offline therealfolkblues

Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 04:58:53 PM
Well for one, you have to have a mental picture of what you want the bach to sound like. \

If you are listening to some god awful interpretation well then ,, thats no good.
Im sure people will say x,y, and z, but just listen to some gould and you are good.

He is a perfect starting point for bach imo because he isnt anal ala.. "omg harpzichordd NO F or P"
nor is he the schmaltzy garbage<at least some of it> linked above..
i had no idea bach was butchered like that/

SO gould and go.

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 05:53:58 PM
A very engaging, comprehensive yet concise  book regarding the interpretation of Bach's keyboard music, in particular WTC, is Kirkpatrick's "Interpreting Bach's WTC". (a must read for Bach keyboard players. Although there are many books on this subject, this one stands out )  Also, Andras Schiff has given some interesting talks regarding phasing/articulation, as it relates to the shape (and sentiment) of those phrases mirrored in his vocal works.  Also, "The true life of J S Bach" by Klaus Eidam really breathes life into the character of Bach, (and surpassing other bios in this respect, imo ).  
Although Gould certainly brings something quite spectacular, and unique to Bach, (with great ability to bring out it's polyphony),  one might also sample various other 'takes' on approaching his music… (sometimes i think that Gould plays all composers like he plays Bach:) Again, Andras Schiff (for sure), Hewitt, (though similar in her approach to Schiff, with a little less edge), E. Fischer version of WTC is quite beautiful, and gives a window to it's interpretive past), Lipatti, …and of course the list could go on….
Cheers
4'33"

Offline michael_c

Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 06:02:22 PM
Angela Hewitt is one of the finest Bach players and has a lot of good advice:

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert