Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Cheap Video Cameras?  (Read 1180 times)

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Cheap Video Cameras?
on: April 08, 2015, 01:10:33 AM
Decided to give another old camera of our family's a shot. This one, while it has alright recording quality, cannot load recorded videos onto an SD card (we took it to a place after trying it with no success with 3 different SD cards, and they confirmed the camera is only able to save pictures, and the defect would cost too much money to fix to be worth it).
So, what cameras that aren't ridiculously expensive can record decently? I'm not looking for anything HD.
I don't really know much about cameras under $100 USD (my main criteria) so I'd love any and all input from the more knowledgeable techy ninjas of the forum!
Thanks!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Cheap Video Cameras?
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 01:31:58 AM
For video, probably anything is adequate (including most likely your phone). If you are planning on using it to also record audio, that is where the fun starts.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 01:44:55 AM
I have a separate USB mic I can plug into my laptop and record with Audacity.
My only issue is that I don't have a reliable way of setting up my phone to where it won't move for both pianos that I'll be recording on (I have a baby grand that I use for about 3/4 of my recording, and an upright that has a better sound for some Chopin to me).
But, in that case, I'll get started soon!

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 02:16:20 AM
For something cheap, you may want to try a webcam.  The HD ones are inexpensive now.  This option may pair well with your USB mic, as both audio and video can be captured by a single computer - no need to sync afterwards.

You can use VLC to do the recording.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 03:04:12 AM
It looks fine.  Notice the chart at the bottom that the C270 does not have a tripod base.  You mentioned your concerns with your phone not having a suitable support system.  Be sure you are fine mounting this camera on your monitor/laptop in an appropriate position for your pianos. 

Looks like the C615 does have a tripod base.

If you are handy and want to construct your own DIY support system, don't let the absence of a tripod mount scare you.   :)
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert