Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: VIDEO: Prelude Op. 28 No. 6 by Frederic Chopin (and on the 1940 D)  (Read 1538 times)

Offline michael_sayers

This is on the 1940 N.Y. Steinway D and used the nice microphones.

The only portion of the audio data I have in my present possession is what is heard with the video.

This is . . . different . . .  :)

Offline stevensk

Majestically to say the least! At 1:10 its like God himself came down from the mountain whith the commandments.

Thanks!

Offline michael_sayers

Majestically to say the least! At 1:10 its like God himself came down from the mountain whith the commandments.

Thanks!

Thanks stevensk!

I am a believer that great music is to be done with all one's might.

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Oh my God... Not again. The Chopin score is perfect as it is  :'( Why ruining this otherwise magical, deep, moving music by adding those awful, bad taste octaves?

Offline michael_sayers

Oh my God... Not again. The Chopin score is perfect as it is  :'( Why ruining this otherwise magical, deep, moving music by adding those awful, bad taste octaves?

The reason, my friend, is at 1:10.

Offline stevensk

No score is "perfect as it is". It requires an interpreter.

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
The reason, my friend, is at 1:10.

Trying to justify it (even without words) makes it even worse.

The score can be perfect by itself, with or without interpreter.

Offline cbreemer

• PS Silver Member
Oh dear oh dear... is there no end to it ? And where is faulty when you need him ?

Offline michael_sayers

Oh dear oh dear... is there no end to it ? And where is faulty when you need him ?

I have a feeling that Mr.  Faulty is just around the corner.

Offline stevensk

Trying to justify it (even without words) makes it even worse.

The score can be perfect by itself, with or without interpreter.

First, -Do you blame God comming down from the mountain whith the commandments?
Second, -Like a painting of a wall? No, music requires a interpreter and an executer!

Offline cbreemer

• PS Silver Member
-Like a painting of a wall? No, music requires a interpreter and an executer!
Make that executioner ! And we have found one !

Offline michael_sayers

Someone make the madness stop!!  Make it stop!!!  ;D

Offline stevensk

"Executer" ..sorry i mean performer!!

"Someone make the madness stop!!  Make it stop!!!"

-Cmon, its friday night! Open your heart for Michael and let an unusual interpretations fill your heart!

Offline michael_sayers

"Executer" ..sorry i mean performer!!

"Someone make the madness stop!!  Make it stop!!!"

-Cmon, its friday night! Open your heart for Michael and let an unusual interpretations fill your heart!

Hi stevensk,

No need to worry.  Since I've been so poorly received here, tonight I will put in a request for copies of ALL my 2002 recordings on the 1940 N.Y. Steinway D so that we may better let there be . . .

Offline stevensk

Hi stevensk,

No need to worry.  Since I've been so poorly received here, tonight I will put in a request for copies of ALL my 2002 recordings on the 1940 N.Y. Steinway D so that we may better let there be . . .

-I think we all in this forum are looking forward to that! I think you have lots of secret admirer here!

Offline michael_sayers

-I think we all in this forum are looking forward to that! I think you have lots of secret admirer here!

I think you are right.  And more than this, the more successful the pianist, the more they like this type of playing.

Almost every concert pianist I know, with one or two exceptions who are in their 80s, admires Ervin Nyiregyhazi, but none will say it publicly.

This is the way of piano playing for the future, and already it is changing.  Look at Fazil Say on YouTube in the Moonlight Sonata first movement.

&index=24

Music has been stuck in the 1950s do what is written approach for way too long.

Pianists who can see what is happening, and who can comprehend the implications, will get on the boat now before it is cut loose from the pier.  Because once it gets moving, if you aren't on it, you aren't going to be able to catch up and get on.

Fazil Say has 12000+ subscribers.

I have 618 and I am a "nobody" pianist.  This is a YouTube record for a "nobody" classical pianist.  I gained three subscribers last week.

It is happening, the time is now.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member

Regardless of what one thinks of MS's recordings, the importance of this concept is undeniable.  Music dies when one worships the score as the end result. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member

Thanks!

Okay - please tell me you're being facetious??? This was awful and the interpretation was crap.

And more than this, the more successful the pianist, the more they like this type of playing.

NO... If you played for Hough, Pollini or Barenboim - they would probably make you stick your head above the soundboard and bring the piano lid down... HARD!!!

Pianists who can see what is happening, and who can comprehend the implications, will get on the boat now before it is cut loose from the pier.  Because once it gets moving, if you aren't on it, you aren't going to be able to catch up and get on.

When they're ready... I'll happily cut the rope. With all those 'people' on the boat, I''ll happily watch it sink.

Offline michael_sayers

Okay - please tell me you're being facetious??? This was awful and the interpretation was crap.

NO... If you played for Hough, Pollini or Barenboim - they would probably make you stick your head above the soundboard and bring the piano lid down... HARD!!!

When they're ready... I'll happily cut the rope. With all those 'people' on the boat, I''ll happily watch it sink.

You would be surprised at the private thoughts of many concert pianists.  I know of these, and from more than a few performers, pedagogy heads, et al.  It is because of reactions such as the above which you state, that Nyiregyhazi is not mentioned by them with praise.  You think you know their private thoughts, yet you do not.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
You gave me a bad headache with that prelude... AGH MAKE IT STOP

Offline michael_sayers

You gave me a bad headache with that prelude... AGH MAKE IT STOP

Why won't it go away!!!  ;D

I won't be posting anymore recordings for a while.  At the moment, it is done.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert