Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Favorite reading of Chopin's Polonaise in As-dur Op.53.  (Read 2740 times)

Offline alistaircrane4

I've been recently trying to find an interpretation of this piece that I really enjoy. I have for a few years now stuck to Yulianna Avdeeva's rendition from the Chopin Competition but there is a very obvious wrong note it which never bothered me really. I don't like Argerich or Horowitz. Blechacz does some nice things and Cortot does some weird things but overall I haven't found one that I liked only ones that I've found interesting these being Sofronitsky's and Francois'. Mentioning Francois I'd like to know if anyone here enjoys his readings of Chopin's music as well as other composers. But the main point is me asking for recommendations of favorite recording of the Polonaise. So if you have any let me know. Thank you.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Re: Favorite reading of Chopin's Polonaise in As-dur Op.53.
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 04:00:41 AM
I particularly like Kissin's rendition, and Rubinstein's.

Offline diomedes

Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 04:01:52 AM
I prefer listening to Samson Francois with Chopin over other pianists generally. His approach favors ambition, intensity and technical efficiency to my ears but i have not made a comprehensive survey of any kind. I do like his Scherzi and Ballades.
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40

Offline alistaircrane4

Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 04:18:06 AM
I prefer listening to Samson Francois with Chopin over other pianists generally. His approach favors ambition, intensity and technical efficiency to my ears but i have not made a comprehensive survey of any kind. I do like his Scherzi and Ballades.
I agree. Most pianists that specialize in Chopin that I listen to do more things that are not to my liking than are. This is not the case with Francois. I find almost no flaws. I just wish he would've repeated the exposition in the Sonata Op.35 and didn't play the Concerti with the abridged orchestral openings.

Offline 8_octaves

Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 06:06:54 AM
Hi,

I think my favourite recordings of the A flat major Polonaise op. 53 are these ones:

Adam Harasiewicz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwyOktHdegQ

This performance of György Cziffra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7B88LDOSr8

Followed, then, perhaps, by: Liberace and Janusz Olejniczak. But of Olejniczak, I couldn't find the old TV-recording from a docu I watched when I was very young, when he played it in Zelazowa-Wola (?), which I liked so much. But there's another, later one on YT.

Cordially, 8_octaves!

"Never be afraid to play before an artist.
The artist listens for that which is well done,
the person who knows nothing listens for the faults." (T. Carreño, quoting her 2nd teacher, Gottschalk.)

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 09:57:44 AM
I almost cannot listen to this war horse in entirety anymore , however these recordings manage to keep me interested. It doesn't hurt that I just generally love their approach to romantic works ( and some of what they ea do is so different so depends on my mood which I like best that day )
second
third
first

*again just today but I would out the Paderewski more consistently as top and I flip flop on Bolet and Cliburn

Offline roberth

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 08:02:26 PM
Well, in the Dutch Wikipedia page for this piece, there is a link to a version which I like very much:

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polonaise_op._53_%28Chopin%29
Scroll down to the bottom where it says "Externe link"...

:)

Offline alistaircrane4

Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 09:11:10 PM
Well, in the Dutch Wikipedia page for this piece, there is a link to a version which I like very much:

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polonaise_op._53_%28Chopin%29
Scroll down to the bottom where it says "Externe link"...

:)
I have a feeling that you are the one playing in that link you know "roberth" and "Robert Hairgrove" but, I must admit I really do like this interpretation. A lot of nice things going on.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert