Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Bach 2 part Invention 11 - bar 8 and 9 - the e (flat or natural)  (Read 3289 times)

Offline elizasays

• PS Silver Member
Bar 9 has a lower mordent on the second note in the treble (F) - I've got the Henle urtext edition, where there's no indication that the E in the mordent should be played natural, yet it sounds bad played as a flat (which is in the key signature)

The bass preceding the E in the lower mordent has an Enatural...I'm thinking I should read this lower mordent as having an Enatural too instead of an Eflat, and have seen recordings which do this and some which don't have the mordent at all.

Would appreciate it if anyone can clarify this..
Anitaelise

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Henle apparently copies Becker. Busoni and Czerny both give standard mordents, which solves your problem. If you wish to do the lower one, I'd go for E natural.

The Groenland mss has no ornamentation. The Darnkoehler one doesn't either. I'm guessing ones in later editions are editorial - certainly ornamentation is desirable, but you can adapt as taste dictates.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Hi.
In the editions i have, none of them indicate to play e natural for the auxiliary note in the mordent…  Also, i have a facsimile of the autograph manuscript, and there is a reverse mordent, but there is no natural sign indicated...  Of the recordings I've heard, when the mordent is employed there, e natural is used… In one edition, the Schirmer's.. (questionable) they have the mordent going up  instead to g ….
Although Bach can be chromatic and harmonically complex, e natural has been used consistently in the previous 3 measures, and continues to be employed for 3 measure past that spot in question…  So if it indeed is played as e flat, it would stand out …. and being an auxiliary note, there is not enough weight to shift the harmonic tide…  
I would play it e natural.
4'33"

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert