Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Rach 23/5 tempo  (Read 1518 times)

Offline williampiano

• PS Silver Member
Rach 23/5 tempo
on: April 18, 2015, 05:59:09 AM
Right now I'm trying to bring Rach Prelude op 23 no 5 to performance level, but I'm struggling to bring it up to speed. In two of the editions I own, the tempo is marked at 108 to the quarter note, but I struggle to play it clean at 92. For those who have played this piece in the past, what was your final tempo?
I realize some performers like Valentina Lisitsa and Horowitz might perform it at around 108, but is that really what I should strive for, or is 84-96 more of a reasonable range? Please share your thoughts.

Offline michael_c

Re: Rach 23/5 tempo
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 08:16:54 AM
Don't concentrate on how fast you can get. Concentrate on how efficiently you can play. The more economical your movements, the easier it will be to increase the speed. Nobody here can tell you how fast you can or should play this piece: it's your own body that will tell you.

Since you say you are working on bringing the piece up to performance level, I presume you can already play it faultlessly at a pace that is comfortable to you. Practice the piece no faster than this pace, concentrating on lightness, rhythmical precision, elasticity and economy. Stop often and ask yourself questions: are any muscles getting tight, am I keeping a good posture, could my movements be more fluid...

Don't push the speed: if you find yourself getting faster, use a metronome to keep you slower! When you really feel you are playing as easily and economically as you can, allow yourself to increase the tempo a bit. Keep concentrating on ease of movement and let your muscles tell you how fast they want to play.

Offline pianogeek_

Re: Rach 23/5 tempo
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 08:21:01 AM
Michael's is very good advice!

If you're searching for a tempo that feels right, my rule of thumb is to find the slowest you can get away with while keeping the suspense (but not by exaggerating beyond good taste) - this will generally force you to think and know about every detail there is and give you a baseline "safe" tempo at which you'll be confident the piece can convey what it's supposed to. And afterwards you'll see whether you still feel the need to speed up. My experience is that probably yes, but maybe not as much as you originally might have thought.

Specifically with this prelude, I remember my teacher's remark which was very helpful in finding a convincing and at the same time technically more accessible, controlled interpretation: "You are standing in a river. Are you playing with the current, or against it?"

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert