Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: What would you do if you were banned from playing the piano for a year  (Read 1716 times)

Offline perfect_playing

Discuss! Would you go mad? Would you just learn another musical instrument? Would you cry? Would you jump with joy as you hate practising and hate the piano but just play because you're told to?
I don't know what I'd do. I can't bear to think of life without the piano!!!!!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Not good at doing what I'm told, so I'd just keep playing.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
I would go back to my old ways...doing nothing much...enjoyed that too :)

Offline perfect_playing

Not good at doing what I'm told, so I'd just keep playing.

Not an option. Sorry. Too bad.

Offline eldergeek

I'd buy a harpsichord or clavichord - I believe the latter may have Bach's preferred instrument, so can't be all bad (and it wouldn't annoy the neighbours).

Offline 8_octaves

I would play harpsichord, too.

But I would be very sad, although I sometimes, for very long periods, don't touch a piano at all.

If there's no harpsichord ( or virginal, or clavichord ) available during the year, then I would read through scores / sheetmusic and play them in my head.

Cordially, 8_oct!
"Never be afraid to play before an artist.
The artist listens for that which is well done,
the person who knows nothing listens for the faults." (T. Carreño, quoting her 2nd teacher, Gottschalk.)

Offline stevensk

I would play piano  8)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
I would play banjo even more than now.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Origami!

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
SKATEBOARDING
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Three months was bad enough...

Find a group of willing victims and go back to choral conducting!
Ian

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Mmm... Judo probably.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
I'd probably take conducting classes. And work lots of overtime or get 2nd job.  Use extra money I upgrade in piano/buy another grand.

Offline cbreemer

• PS Silver Member
Nobrainer question ! You get on a (piano) forum and engage in endless and pointless discussions about anything at all, writing one page-long rant after another. Thinking about it it makes me wonder if some here HAVE indeed been banned from playing  ;D

But seriously, this would be a golden opportunity to learn to (better) play the organ.

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
I did it. I quite piano age 14 to play bassoon in school band, then lost the school loaned instrument when I graduated. I bought a hifi stereo and played a lot of records while I persued science through college, then a job.  Finally age 30 I had enough income that I bought a house, then age 32 a piano.  I missed do it yourself music so much.  The free access piano at the officer's club (my job age 30-33) was a beat up piece of **** Kimball. 
I still miss the school band though. No amateur group has come close to being as good as they were.
Age 45 I tried singing in the local little theater, HMS Pinnafore, but those people kept dragging in the latest infection to pass on to me. I had four weeks of colds in two bouts in 9 weeks of rehearsal/performance.  Its not worth it.  **** European decendents get over a cold in two days, but not me.  
I've tried finding a local pop band to play in, but every venue like music stores where bands form require you play imported rubber ****, and every pop musician not already in a band smokes dope or requires beer to play! Or they are age fourteen.   It would be so easy to socialize if I just played computer games or something.  

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
More time to practice organ  ;D

Lots of other things to do as well, like writing down my music.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert