Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Comfortable fingering? Rachmaninoff's Op. 32 No. 10  (Read 1186 times)

Offline fmiller

Comfortable fingering? Rachmaninoff's Op. 32 No. 10
on: April 26, 2015, 07:05:32 PM
Hi there,
I started learning Rachmaninoff's Prelude 10 from Op. 32 about two weeks ago. It's quite comfortable to play, but I just can't find a comfortable fingering for the cadenza.

I have found multiple fingerings, but I can't find a comfortable one.
These are the ones I found:
2-3-5-1-2-3-1-2-3-5-3-2-5-2-1-3-2-1 (given in the sheet)
When I play this fingering, I always 'loose' the lower F sharp because of the weird twisting I have to do in order to get my middle finger on the b.
2-1-2-1-2-3-1-2-3-5-3-2-5-2-1-3-2-1
This is way more comfortable than the first one, but I can't get it up to speed, because of the crossing over of my index finger.
1-2-5-1-2-3-1-2-3-5-3-2-5-2-1-5-4-2
This one is also way more comfortable than the first one.

I'm not really sure which one to use. So, What did/would you use?
Thanks F.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Comfortable fingering? Rachmaninoff's Op. 32 No. 10
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 11:54:47 PM
Learn the concept of note grouping.  If you are fingering individually, it's most likely wrong.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert