Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Etude Op. 10 No. 1 [Live in Audition]  (Read 1789 times)

Offline cometear

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Etude Op. 10 No. 1 [Live in Audition]
on: May 10, 2015, 12:11:22 AM
Hey everyone,

Long time since I've been here. I had an audition today, I decided to do it last minute and I wanted to record it to listen back. Take a listen and give your opinions. I'm still working on speeding it up and making parts easier, right now it's coming along but not quite there.
Clementi, Piano Sonata in G Minor, No. 3, op. 10
W. A. Mozart, Sonata for Piano Four-Hands in F Major, K. 497
Beethoven, Piano Concerto, No. 2, op. 19

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Etude Op. 10 No. 1 [Live in Audition]
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 01:02:36 AM
To me it's just to slow - almost unrecognizably slow. Try speeding it up then repost. Don't quit though! Keep playing and recording!
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 03:37:59 PM
If I were you I would not play a piece that I just started learning in any audition.
You would have done yourself a better favor if you played something easier, something that you can play decently.
Keep working on this one. It will be a long process but definitely worth it. It is my favorite Chopin etude.
Chopin, 10-8 | Chopin, 25-12 | Haydn, HOB XVI:20

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 10:03:50 PM
Certainly a good start, and not a bad tempo to measure goals of accuracy and discipline. I remember hearing Yakov Kasman warming up before a recital (which did not include this etude, incidentally...he played Schumann F-sharp minor sonata and Rachmaninoff D minor sonata) by playing this etude very, very, very slowly, feeling each note. That was the first thing I did when I got home.

Check the last beat of measure 2 and the like passage at the recap, and see that you're playing a D in the RH instead of an E. (I have not the score in front of me, so I hope I'm not wrong).
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline stevensk

Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 12:48:45 PM
Well..hm, lots of wrong notes, interuptions and slooow tempo. Why not posting something you can manage? Something you are proud of?

Offline cometear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 08:16:00 PM
Well..hm, lots of wrong notes, interuptions and slooow tempo. Why not posting something you can manage? Something you are proud of?

I just like getting feedback so I can try to improve on it.

Offline stevensk

Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 08:24:50 PM
I just like getting feedback so I can try to improve on it.

-Im shure you can. Give it a month and im sure it sounds much better! You are brave! This is an awful difficult piece

Offline cometear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 01:06:03 AM
-Im shure you can. Give it a month and im sure it sounds much better! You are brave! This is an awful difficult piece

:) Thanks, I don't regret picking it at all. I really just wanted to give it a shot. I enjoyed working on it, and the competition served as an incentive to improve.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert