Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Not sure how to read this chord  (Read 1390 times)

Offline yadeehoo

• PS Silver Member
Not sure how to read this chord
on: May 15, 2015, 04:50:29 PM
Hi, just to be sure, The notes on this chord are B natural ? Cause RH plays Bb and A#

I guess it's dissonance on purpose right?
Horowitz - Danse Macabre / Carmen variatons
Chopin - Polonaise in A flat Major + Etudes
Liszt - Liebestraum #3
Beethoven - Moonlight 3rd movement

WORK IN PROGRESS

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Re: Not sure how to read this chord
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 10:06:55 PM
Not the same staff, nor the same line, the accidentals don't apply if I remember right (very technical). What it becomes is a diminished chord (e, g, B flat, or D flat, whichever you prefer).

Offline gustaaavo

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 10:37:45 PM
That's right about the accidentals not applying. Those B naturals are actually anticipating the resolution in the next bar (B major).

What seems very arbitrary is the notation of the enharmonic tones (it would seem simpler to have all as A#).

About the chord itself, a beautiful (and useful) way to think about diminished 7th chords is as, for example here, a F#7b9 (or dominant minor ninth) without the root.

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 02:42:42 AM
Some things to keep in mind if you're really working on this-

I've seen two "fan-made" scores of Horowitz's Danse Macabre and they both have errors in transcription. There is no official score, and I think only one Horowitz studio recording, which also, believe it or not, has some errors in playing. If you run into any questionable spots in your score like this, take a real good headphones listen to the recording again to see if it matches what you're looking at.

Offline yadeehoo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 07:22:31 AM
Thank you all for your replies.

I'll keep in mind there might be some errors on the score.

On the pure technical side, the chord is reading BEGB, right ?

Also right the next chord (not in the picture) resolves in B major

When I practice, there are some parts that sound very dissonant at slow speed, but once up to tempo, it all makes sense. There's kind of a transcending new melody at full tempo (200 Bpm)
Horowitz - Danse Macabre / Carmen variatons
Chopin - Polonaise in A flat Major + Etudes
Liszt - Liebestraum #3
Beethoven - Moonlight 3rd movement

WORK IN PROGRESS
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert