Piano Forum

Topic: rachmaninoff's prelude in g minor (work in progress)  (Read 1236 times)

Offline liepbb

Hi everyone,

This is a work in progress of Rachmaninoff's Prelude in G minor, Op 23 No. 5.

Am struggling with the bit on the second page with those large spread chords, and octaves alternating with fifths! Somehow I get so tense when I play fast, and then I can't play fast. What an irony..

Do give lots of constructive feedback. I know there's lots to improve!

Offline kawai_cs

Re: rachmaninoff's prelude in g minor (work in progress)
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 10:47:12 AM
Hi,
it is a beautiful and tough prelude. You have done a lot of work on it and definitely have an idea, how it should be played. There is still lots of work ahead, but isn't it pure pleasure to work on something as fantastic?  I just hope you have large hands. I can't imagine someone with small hands playing this :)
I hear a lot of wrong notes in this version. You need to slow down and practice slowly for accuracy, it is too early for you to play at this speed.
You need to pay great attention to bringing up the beautiful voicing in the chords. They cannot be played flat. There are tutorials on YT on this topic.
If you get tense while playing the chords - practice slowly and pay attention to correct chord attack and immediate relaxation.
I am glad somebody here is working on this beautiful prelude and look forward to hearing the next version of it.
Chopin, 10-8 | Chopin, 25-12 | Haydn, HOB XVI:20

Offline owenchan

Re: rachmaninoff's prelude in g minor (work in progress)
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:26:58 PM
Great start to a wonderful piece! I love your dynamic contrast, it really stands out. I do hear a lot of tension in the hands and wrist. I recommend practicing much slower than the speed the recording is at, and constantly being aware of the tension in your wrists/hands. Ask yourself in each phrase, "Am I relaxed? Can I play this like it's easy?", and I'm sure you'll get better.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert