Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Shostakovich - Prelude and Fugue in A major, op.87 no.7  (Read 4630 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
here is the A major prelude and fugue, one of Shostakovich's most charming compositions for sure, with the pastoral pastiche prelude and the fugue on the Triad - is there any other such fugue??? really an amazing piece, the fugue is quite difficult to maneuver, esp. rhythmically.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Shostakovich - Prelude and Fugue in A major, op.87 no.7
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 12:56:12 PM
top marks good sir!!! loved this. nothing i can really say. thanks for sharing 8) 8)

Offline cbreemer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 07:19:59 AM
I deeply love this pair too. It is full of sunshine and youthful optimism, like a bright and sunny may morning, which is amazing given the dreary and difficult times Shostakovich lived in, and the problems he was always in with the Soviet authorities. It is truly the sign of a great composer that
he could transcend all that, and create music of such Bach-like translucency.

I find the fugue (which is indeed unique, and far harder than it sounds) played rather too fast. You probably follow the metronome marks, which is laudable, but personally I find it more beautiful at a somewhat more relaxed pace. Well played though, despite the couple of tiny slips (which probably would not have happened had you taken it a little slower).

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 02:56:28 PM
thanks again for listening closely to this p&F. regarding the fugue tempo, i admit to being undecided. on one hand, it does sound totally lovely in a more relaxed tempo, and in fact the harmonic color is easier to hear, and it can be relished more. on the other hand, i think the rhythm of the subject itself, particularly in the middle of it like the second and third bars, calls for a very spritely tempo.
shostakovich's own tempo in his recording is quite a bit faster than mine, though nikolaeva's is slower.
richter's is very fast.
i guess for me it is a character issue, and what side of the fugue you want to emphasize. thanks again for listening
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert