Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: In just 2 weeks and I am still not ready  (Read 1741 times)

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
In just 2 weeks and I am still not ready
on: May 27, 2015, 02:57:58 AM
Hello,

In 2 weeks I am going to play 2 pieces, 2 waltzes. One has been ready for a long time, but the other one is still not, it is the Brillante Valse op 18.

I know that I have had enough time to prepare it, but my focus was to other pieces that I had to learn for study purposes that I didn't give it more time. I can play the piece complete, but not in the right tempo (vivace), I can play it without complications at 120 bpm, if I increase the speed, the piece will mess up. Also, I need to pay attention to other flaws like the volume, rhythm, flow and my sitting position, and if I increase the tempo right now, those flaws can become more notorious.

I am scared, I though I could have the piece right, but I also have to put priorities in other pieces and exercises I am learning right now with other teachers (solfege and sightreading).

I am scared to make mistakes, and I know that I have to work harder and putting it as priority number 1 for now, but my teachers will told me off if I don't pay attention to their pieces.

Do you think it is possible that I can play the Valse even though it is in a slow tempo like 120,130 or 140 bpm?, is it better to pay more attention to other flaws instead of focusing in playing faster?

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Re: In just 2 weeks and I am still not ready
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 03:44:07 AM
If you absolutely can't play it faster, then a slower but more accurate tempo is usually more satisfying than a faster but sloppier one.
Do try making sure though, that you're not playing with a lot of tension. Try have someone hit your arm up during your playing- it should go up a decent amount.

Offline amytsuda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:12:37 PM
Definitely just play at the speed you feel comfortable! 2 weeks is not enough time for amateurs with other obligations to make any drastic change on a piece like that. And I remember your audio post a few months ago, you were playing the valse slowly but surely with no complication in your words. I like listening to amateurs play like that, with true commitment and efforts to play things correctly and cleanly. It really shows off how far the one came and mastered. If you try to speed up last minute and fumble around because you won't be ready, no one sees what you could actually do. I applaud your courage to perform! Good luck!

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 05:24:24 AM
. . . is it better to pay more attention to other flaws instead of focusing in playing faster?

Hi Faa2010,

It is best to focus on other perceived flaws - this should be done, anyhow, before pushing the tempo, in my opinion.

Mvh,
Michael

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 07:24:21 AM
Hello,

The recital was last weekend, I made mistakes, but I think they were unperceived and I didn't increase the speed of the tempo.

At that moment, I just hoped that the piece sounded nicely and not so choppy.

Right now, I will focus on other pieces I need to learn. However, after a week I will return to the piece to check if I can polish it more.

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=56865.msg628916#msg628916

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 10:14:02 PM
Good for you!
 Now thank j_menz who was so kind to coach you a lot on this piece :)
Chopin, 10-8 | Chopin, 25-12 | Haydn, HOB XVI:20

Offline kevonthegreatpianist

Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 04:57:53 AM
It doesn't matter if you play one wrong note or mess up in the end or something. As Beethoven says, "A piece with a wrote note is insufficient, A piece with no taste is implausible." Something like that. If you play the piece like if a robot or computer was playing it, that would be terrible. You can play at a slow tempo and still make the piece sound like an actual piece. I'm just curious; what's the other waltz you're playing?
I made an account and hadn't used it in a year. Welcome back, kevon.

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 08:31:20 AM
Before the Brillante Valse, I played Valse Poetico of Felipe Villanueva.

Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 04:46:33 AM
faa2010 play Op.64 No.2 after the recital. It's not that difficult and I like it a lot.

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 05:25:44 AM
faa2010 play Op.64 No.2 after the recital. It's not that difficult and I like it a lot.

It is funny, I have learnt it at the same time since December 2014. I haven't finished it yet because of the pieces I needed to learn and practice for the recital, but now my attention will be focused in the next pieces which I have to play after July the 4th:

Bach Invention 7
Mozart  Piano Sonata in G major, K.283 First Movement
Chopin Valse op 64 no 2

Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 03:03:58 AM
It is funny, I have learnt it at the same time since December 2014. I haven't finished it yet because of the pieces I needed to learn and practice for the recital, but now my attention will be focused in the next pieces which I have to play after July the 4th:

Bach Invention 7
Mozart  Piano Sonata in G major, K.283 First Movement
Chopin Valse op 64 no 2
I played and mastered the entire K 283 and I can help you on the first movement.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert