Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: How long do you practice?  (Read 1876 times)

Offline grisaia

How long do you practice?
on: June 12, 2015, 08:34:49 AM
I've always been spontaneous when practicing something. I would not practice for a few days, the spend an entire day practicing.
How many hours do you practice piano daily? How do you split up the sessions?

Offline coolpianoman

• PS Silver Member
Re: How long do you practice?
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 12:21:20 PM
I think it is important to practice regularly not have a big ‘splurge’ for a full day say once a week.  I have taught meditation and the same thing applies – better 10 minutes every day than a long session every now and again.  Incidentally I usually start with scales and exercises although sometimes I put in 15/20 minutes of them in between practising the pieces.  2 hours practice is my minimum and I have a 4 hour session when the mood takes me.  With a nice Steinway model B late at night with just my music light on it is easy to lose all sense of time. 

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 02:35:22 PM
I think that is it - consistency and one's state of mind when practicing are what counts (and how one practices . . . ).

Mvh,
Michael

Offline callalily90

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 07:00:58 PM
I do not practice every day, but I try for 45 min - 1 hour. I agree with the above poster that consistency and state of mind matter. If I am in a bad mood / tired and I know I won't practice well, I don't waste my time. If you practice sloppily I would argue that it actually hurts your improvement more than does anything for you.

Offline dogperson

Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 07:45:05 PM
I agree heartily  about practicing daily. In addition, it more beneficial for me to break up the practice into smaller time segments than a lump of time

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 08:45:08 PM

I spend usually 2-3 hours a day at the piano... when I get obsessive -- up to 12. 

Offline louispodesta

Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 10:46:12 PM
I think that is it - consistency and one's state of mind when practicing are what counts (and how one practices . . . ).

Mvh,
Michael
Publish this on the front page of the New York Times, and then the London Daily Mail.   It is that good!

Offline sammmue

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 12:39:51 PM
I do four everyday if i have holidays but if not then 2

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 07:25:01 PM
I spend 2 - 2.5 hours a day... oops... my mom started putting restrictions on it  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert