Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: What should composers should I play ?  (Read 1168 times)

Offline sammmue

• PS Silver Member
What should composers should I play ?
on: July 05, 2015, 12:38:52 PM
Hi, I'm around grade 8. I normally play alot of chopin and exam pieces but thats all.

What composers should I look for ? What type of works should I try to play ?

Thanks for your advice in advance !!!!

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Re: What should composers should I play ?
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 01:41:27 PM
Hi,

I think it would be difficult to tell you what music you will like. It could be fair to say you enjoy some slipknot and then advise you don't mind some Eminem.

However with regards to Chopin I find his music very emotional, very expressive, in some cases romantic; many of which seem to tell stories reflecting his thoughts or moods. (maybe looking a bit into it!) I do think you can hear a piece by him, not even knowing it was his piece and feel like it could be... I don't think you can say you like Chopin so you like this, this this...

With that in mind, I would say you have two options.
A - Find out about Chopin himself, do your research, find out what inspired him, who taught him, who he taught (as much information as you can get) as you could naturally assume if you love his music, you probably share a similar passion as to his.

B - Find composers that were working at the same or similar times as him.. He was alive in what is known to be "The Early romantic Era"; the same time as other famous composers such as Liszt, schumann, schubert, Debussy, Faure, the list goes on. The wonderful thing about youtube is you can type these names in find a few of their most famous songs to get a feel of the composer and their style and see if you connect.

I share your passion with Chopin, have been to concerns, play various pieces and can practice his music for hours. Good luck!

"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 01:51:06 PM

and and on we can go, name of the game  is explore and discover what is out there, kick over enough rocks and you'll turn up lots of gems  :)

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 07:47:16 PM

Absolutely captivating.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert