Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: How or where can one find the funk?  (Read 2029 times)

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
How or where can one find the funk?
on: July 10, 2015, 09:51:36 AM
So the other day I was trying to improvise in a classroom while I waited for classes and this (hotannoying)girl barges in and asks me about what I'm playing. I tell 'er it some improvisation and whatnot, so then this girl has the gall to tell me:

"Are you a pianist?"

"Well I'm playing piano but I still got a long way to-"

"But you're not so good, your technique is good but ya ain't got the funk. You're all rigid. Hmm? You're like a breadstick. You got no rhythm"

At this point I am silently seething and cursing myself for indulging in such practices when deep know I do like some of that funk, yeah baby...I remain stoic on the outside but inside its pure turmoil, I see she is expecting some kind of reply so I pullout one of my best skills, one that saved me more than once on oral presentation that I forgot in high school.

I tell her;

"It is hard to have the funk, for you see, the Funk is a living creature. It's 'bout the size of a medicine ball, but covered in teats. It came from another planet, and landed on Bootsy Collins's house. "

"Back then Bootsy was just a simple farmer. But he took one look at all of those mauve titties and he lost his mind. He began to milk the Funk. Made himself a Funk shake. Began to feel fizzy inside. He found he could see 'round corners. Suddenly, he passed out. But when he came to, baby, he was slapping a bass guitar fast and loose like some kind of delirious, funky priest.

Two months later, he was world-famous with his band, Parliament, and everybody wanted a piece of the Funk: Rick Wakeman, even the Bee Gees. "

"One day, Parliament was traveling on the mothership, fooling around with the Funk, when George Clinton kicked the Funk clean overboard.

That was July the Second, 1979, the Day the Funk died. "

All the while her face was impassive, she just turned around and walked away, before leaving the room she took one last look back and told me that the next time we meet (god forbid) she expected me to know where to find the funk or else she would tell the others that I got none (which they probably know already).

So long story short, I need to get some funky funk ASAP. An ideas, recommendations or whatever information of the whereabouts of the funk would be helpful.
"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: How or where can one find the funk?
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 12:33:10 PM
I keep mine stored next to my groove thang, baby.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 12:38:52 PM

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 12:46:59 PM
funk is nothing with out soul. she was way misguided, poor thing, everyone knows you first seek that out

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 06:50:09 PM
Today I tried making gestures and faces while playing, I felt silly. I ain't got the funk, there mist be at least something to drawn it out some ritual hell even animal sacrifices.
"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 06:50:52 PM

I'll watch it just in case I learn something valuable.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 08:13:09 PM
this girl has the gall to tell me:

"Are you a pianist?"

...lol...  the world is full of really stupid people my friend..and it's worse after you get out of school.

ahhh...the "listen to me play" practice session to impress girls at school...  and the  hot/annoying girl actually came in the room and told you that you had no rhythm...ouch...dude that's harsh.  Sometimes though people like to establish their musical superiority by cutting into fellow students...  maybe you have that really awesome funk going on--maybe not...I have no idea... but she heard something she liked...lol...that's why she came in there....  the next time you see her she will tell you that you play better...lol...even if you don't.   she's flirting with you...  ;)

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 08:42:36 PM
ahhh...the "listen to me play" practice session to impress girls at school... 
One of the reasons I'm grateful for going to the school that I do is that these don't exist. The music portable is isolated, far away from everything, and is guarded by the ferocious dancers who will lure you in and then suck every hour of your spare time away from you.

I laughed too hard at your story, that was pretty great. Especially considering you made it up on the spot, well done! XD

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 08:54:29 PM
One of the reasons I'm grateful for going to the school that I do is that these don't exist.

what?  you don't like to show off ? really?  hmmm... why?    I mean no harm just wondering...

I always find it rather refreshing to just go out there and ham it up.   

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 09:11:00 PM
what?  you don't like to show off ? really?  hmmm... why?    I mean no harm just wondering...

I always find it rather refreshing to just go out there and ham it up.   
Every once in a while, but if it were a major thing, everyone who could play a little piano (most of the guys in our school, but for some reason no girls, which is really disproportionate considering there are 4 girls to every guy there, lol, but I digress) would be showing off.
I don't mind showing off every once in a while, I just keep it to a minimum (typically in our music portable, which has a nice weber baby grand) as in the past it has led to me inflating my own ego and thinking I'm better than all the other pianists (even if I was, I wouldn't want to start shouting that out, lol), which I try to avoid for obvious reasons.
It is refreshing to go out to a piano (our school also has a concert grand in the performance center, a yamaha 8') and show off, especially when you're like me and you don't really draw that much attention from others, everyone is like "Woah, what the hell?".
Like I said though, I find that it inflates my ego, something I try to stay away from. I'm not our school's conductor, after all.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 12:35:15 AM
I didn't read the post, but I have an idea what that person noticed.

Style.  Playing something with jazz influences too straight and classical.  Also style in performance manner, attitude, etc.

The title on this thread sound amusing with this question.... "Pardon me... Where might one find this funk I've heard so much about?"

Thinking....
Style.  Things that are emphasized more for a jazz feel.... A steady beat, the swing feel/subdivision of the beat -- That could be the grove someone was noticing -- articulation. 

The swing feel esp. though, not having the weight land down on the beat, but having it accented (through dynamics) on the last upper part of the beat. 

ooO ooO ooO ooO
and not...
Ooo Ooo Ooo ooO

I'm sure Youtube has some videos.  There's a different feel to the pulse.  I'd pick something simple and get the feel down.

From what I've seen it can be like picking up an accent.  if you play jazz a lot, that style might bleed into classical, the same way you can play jazz too straight.  I heard of a professional who did both, but he still only did only jazz for six months and then switched to classical for six months so the styles didn't mix so much.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 12:57:48 AM
I find that it :) inflates my ego,

sometimes that's not such a bad thing...  if it motivates you.   It is rude to force it on people when you get to a certain level IMO...you know--demand they stop what their doing and listen...lol...   once they know you can play that element of surprises is gone forever---  that's why it's nice to go somewhere and play for some new folks...  get their reaction and remind yourself that you are really pretty good at this.  :)   Music school deflates everyone's ego from time to time... it's ok to go and soak up some glory for your efforts.. you have earned it..

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 02:09:39 AM
I didn't read the post, but I have an idea what that person noticed.

Style.  Playing something with jazz influences too straight and classical.  Also style in performance manner, attitude, etc.

The title on this thread sound amusing with this question.... "Pardon me... Where might one find this funk I've heard so much about?"

Thinking....
Style.  Things that are emphasized more for a jazz feel.... A steady beat, the swing feel/subdivision of the beat -- That could be the grove someone was noticing -- articulation. 

The swing feel esp. though, not having the weight land down on the beat, but having it accented (through dynamics) on the last upper part of the beat. 

ooO ooO ooO ooO
and not...
Ooo Ooo Ooo ooO

I'm sure Youtube has some videos.  There's a different feel to the pulse.  I'd pick something simple and get the feel down.

From what I've seen it can be like picking up an accent.  if you play jazz a lot, that style might bleed into classical, the same way you can play jazz too straight.  I heard of a professional who did both, but he still only did only jazz for six months and then switched to classical for six months so the styles didn't mix so much.

I was playing Scarlatti Sonata K.380, how is that remotely funky I know not and rather leave such discussion for people more known that me, but I find your suggestion on listening and perhaps learning some of dem funky groove appealing.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 02:40:28 AM
I was playing Scarlatti Sonata K.380, how is that remotely funky I know not and rather leave such discussion for people more known that me, but I find your suggestion on listening and perhaps learning some of dem funky groove appealing.

Actually the funk really likes to hang out with Scarlatti! You really need to go find it now!

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 02:41:51 AM
Actually the funk really likes to hang out with Scarlatti! You really need to go find it now!

You would have me be a breadstick and a gravedigger?

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: July 11, 2015, 03:06:55 AM
You would have me be a breadstick and a gravedigger?

No need...The funk lets Domenico rest in piece, but he likes to come around when someone's playing his music right...you know he's around when you can't help shaking your thang ;)

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 07:43:50 AM
No need...The funk lets Domenico rest in piece, but he likes to come around when someone's playing his music right...you know he's around when you can't help shaking your thang ;)

Oh...

Oh! I think I get it.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 08:58:27 AM
Right!

Look at AMB when he plays Scarlatti, you can see the funk...He can hardly stay in his pants :)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: July 11, 2015, 01:43:21 PM

Ah... I only glanced at the post.  I thought you were improvising or playing something that was funk/jazz-influenced.

If it's classical.... They could be referring to attitude/performance manner and tight rhythm.  It's stretching it a bit -- Those are similarities between jazz and classical -- but it's also not the swing/jazz feel, fine/correct on the jazz side but wrong on the classical side.

Attitude/performance-wise, it could be playing in a way that "this is how it's played," no apologies, no hesitation.  Hopefully without being condescending toward the audience.  I've gotten that feel from some jazz people once in a while -- This is jazz, I'm playing it well, now I'm playing classical well... so there!  That type of vibe.  

Then again... If someone were to take jazz philosophy to classical... and did something outside of the usual performance practices, like improvising, and improvising well, in that style... Then they make their own rules I guess.  

Watching the Scarlatti video....

"In the groove" is another phrase I've heard.

Smooth, fluid playing.  Performer is into the music.

Vibrant playing?

Kind of a cocky attitude possibly.  It depends how you interpret the performer. 

The part I wonder about is when it goes outside the style.  If something isn't supposed to be that vibrant, that... entertaining/bouncy/performer-is-enjoying-it... The "funk/groove" idea might not be right in every style. 

It's subtle, but important.

It's in these commercials.  You can hear it in the voices.  Fluid vs. stilted.

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 07:31:07 AM
Right!

Look at AMB when he plays Scarlatti, you can see the funk...He can hardly stay in his pants :)

Ah man I love that piece! I wish I had that velocity thou... i really struggle with even Czerny... BUT I did see some funky stuff there amazing.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: July 12, 2015, 08:29:19 AM
Ah man I love that piece! I wish I had that velocity thou... i really struggle with even Czerny... BUT I did see some funky stuff there amazing.

You don't have to have that kind of velocity to find the funk...you can even pick a slower piece, just let the rhythm take you over :)

Not sure about Czerny though...I have a feeling the funk don't like him...

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: July 12, 2015, 11:46:25 AM
Not sure about Czerny though...I have a feeling the funk don't like him...

The man is way more than his exercises. The funk knows that.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 12:19:13 PM
The man is way more than his exercises. The funk knows that.

Sure...but I'm afraid funk almost went out of business during the classical era...

He did try, but got desperate at some point I guess:

(Sorry, could only find this midi)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: July 12, 2015, 12:34:33 PM
Sure...but I'm afraid funk almost went out of business during the classical era...

Since he worked almost entirely in the Romantic, I's not sure how this is relevant even if (and I find this highly dubious) it is correct.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: July 12, 2015, 12:45:41 PM
Since he worked almost entirely in the Romantic, I's not sure how this is relevant even if (and I find this highly dubious) it is correct.

Whatever Romanticism there may be in his music is not the kind for the funk. The same with Beethoven.

They both inherited the lack of funk from the classical era. For the funk to thrive there needs to be a constant rhytmic flow and that was not the fashion during that period...

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: July 12, 2015, 12:53:58 PM
Whatever Romanticism there may be in his music is not the kind for the funk.

Rubbish.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: July 12, 2015, 12:57:08 PM
Rubbish.

I grew up with funk and know him very intimately. Whatever other assets that piece may have, funk is not among them.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: July 12, 2015, 01:07:33 PM
Funny.  I hear it in the Czerny/Scarlatti.... But that's MIDI?  So it is possible to get it synthetically.   Now I'm hearing it like it's a machine though.   That's amusing.

The second Czerny up there doesn't have it.  That sounds straight/classical (in general)/Romantic.

It's the rhythm, bounciness of the Czerny/Scarlatti piece.

I'm just laughing... I can hear that punchy Cz/Sc piece as having "it" or being too stilted since it's trapped in a computer rhythm/dynamics.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: July 12, 2015, 01:08:45 PM
If you want a Nocturne with funk:

Feel the difference?

Funk does not go to your brain, nor your feet, it goes to your gut...

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: July 12, 2015, 01:12:20 PM
Funny.  I hear it in the Czerny/Scarlatti.... But that's MIDI?  So it is possible to get it synthetically.   Now I'm hearing it like it's a machine though.   That's amusing.

There are moments, but he cannot keep the funk alive for the whole piece...

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: July 12, 2015, 01:31:37 PM
Yeah, I saw MIDI and started listening for it.  The spots where it's static for rhythm and dynamics sound like a machine.  "Oops, the CD's skipping..."

I'm not seeing the same thing in that nocturne video.  I see what you're talking about... There are different pieces of this funk/groove thing.  He's got the performance manner/attitude going.  The piece itself doesn't have the rhythm side of that though.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: July 12, 2015, 02:44:10 PM
Yeah, I saw MIDI and started listening for it.  The spots where it's static for rhythm and dynamics sound like a machine.  "Oops, the CD's skipping..."

I'm not seeing the same thing in that nocturne video.  I see what you're talking about... There are different pieces of this funk/groove thing.  He's got the performance manner/attitude going.  The piece itself doesn't have the rhythm side of that though.
It's just much more suddle (Chopin wrote things with more, but I was too lazy to search for them)... When smaller the funk needs more quidance to find it's way in...

It's not only the rhythm that feeds the funk your know, it's the interaction of rhytm, dynamics and harmony...

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: July 13, 2015, 12:42:03 AM
It's just much more suddle (Chopin wrote things with more, but I was too lazy to search for them)... When smaller the funk needs more quidance to find it's way in...

It's not only the rhythm that feeds the funk your know, it's the interaction of rhytm, dynamics and harmony...

suddle lazy funk quidance...   I like the sound of that...   ;D  sounds like the name of a jazz standard... or maybe  Bootsy Collins' personal brand of platform shoes.

theholygideons

Reply #33 on: July 13, 2015, 01:07:00 AM
Can someone clarify the meaning of the op's original post? If I'm not mistaken, when he says 'funk' is he actually referring to 'fuckboy?', e.g. 'But you're not so good, your technique is good but ya ain't got the fuckboy'.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: July 13, 2015, 01:27:41 AM
I thought the person who came in thought sens's performance was stilted/stiff.  I would think they meant funk for sure.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: July 13, 2015, 03:06:10 AM

suddle lazy funk quidance...   I like the sound of that...   ;D  sounds like the name of a jazz standard... or maybe  Bootsy Collins' personal brand of platform shoes.

Lazyness is indeed very much part of funk's nature. Funk doesn't care for drama. That's why he also doesn't usually like such composers as Liszt.

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: July 13, 2015, 06:40:58 AM
Can someone clarify the meaning of the op's original post? If I'm not mistaken, when he says 'funk' is he actually referring to 'fuckboy?', e.g. 'But you're not so good, your technique is good but ya ain't got the fuckboy'.

Funk as in THE funk. I assure you fine ser, sexual intercourse had nothing to do in this situation. That I'm aware of at least, unless you count my sentiments getting buggered (sadface)

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: July 13, 2015, 06:42:58 AM
I thought the person who came in thought sens's performance was stilted/stiff.  I would think they meant funk for sure.

"You're all rigid. Hmm? You're like a breadstick. You got no rhythm" - Girl 2015

I daresay you may be close.    :'(
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert