Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Powell plays Eiges!  (Read 2317 times)

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Powell plays Eiges!
on: July 10, 2015, 02:07:58 PM
so this came out on my dear favorite label Toccata just few weeks ago, have not been able to stop listening to this (btw I mean Konstantin, not Oleg, though his music is interesting too).

Anyone else a fan? Been waiting a long while for recordings of these to be released. May the gods of fortune reign down their divine favor on Mr. Powell and Toccatta for making this available!

*above playlist to all 22 tracks  8)

Konstantin Romanovich Eiges

Piano Music

[1-2] 2 Skazki, Op. 12;
[3] Sonata-Poem No. 1, Op. 15;
[4-13] 10 Preludes, Op. 8;
[14-15] 2 Poems, Op. 19;
[16] The Cuckoo, Op. 2;
[17] Sonata-Poem No. 2, Op. 28;
[18-21] 4 Pieces, Op. 14;
[22] Theme and Variations, Op. 36
TT 71:04

Jonathan Powell, piano

Konstantin Romanovich Eiges (1875–1950) was a member of the ‘Silver Age’ of Russian music, a contemporary and friend of Rachmaninov, Medtner and other major composer-pianists.

He was a member of a gifted Jewish family from eastern Ukraine, studied both in medicine and music in Moscow: many of his siblings were distinguished in their own right, and his son, Oleg, wrote twenty symphonies.

Eiges’ music bears the impress of Taneyev, his teacher, and of Skryabin and has points in common with his friends Medtner and Rachmaninov, but deserves to be remembered in its own right.

This is the first-ever CD dedicated to the music of this unjustly forgotten figure.

The pianist, composer and writer Jonathan Powell has a reputation for tackling music of enormous difficulty, not least that of Sorabji, whose Opus clavicembalisticum, Sequentia cyclica and other gargantuan works he has played around the globe. He studied the piano with Denis Matthews and, for a longer period, Sulamita Aronovsky. He took a music degree and doctorate in musicology at Cambridge University, where he also taught. He has a particular interest in music of the early twentieth century, including that of Scriabin and other Russian modernists. He is also a self-taught composer. He has made a number of previous recordings for Toccata Classics, including the music of Goldenweiser, Kornauth and Mediņš.

Toccata Classics TOCC0215

Offline diomedes

Re: Powell plays Eiges!
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 02:17:34 PM
Looks like it's worth a listen, i've never come across the name. Thanks.
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 02:22:20 PM
Looks like it's worth a listen, i've never come across the name. Thanks.
oh , be careful, your predilection for Scriabin (which we share) predisposes you to the addictive qualities of this. you've been warned  ;D

Offline diomedes

Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 02:27:38 PM
well then, i certainly enjoy addictions, i'll be listening through this tomorrow while studying on a sunny patio tomorrow and let you know what happens.
Faure barcarolle 10

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 06:03:01 PM
Not available :(

well I'll just use a youtube converter to downlod the files. Sorry powel.. :D

Edit: OH MY!!!!!!!! This composer is AMAZING!

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 06:25:54 PM
Not available :(

well I'll just use a youtube converter to downlod the files. Sorry powel.. :D

Edit: OH MY!!!!!!!! This composer is AMAZING!
1. yes, there are workarounds when yt acts up.

2. YES YES YES, amazing is putting it mildly, been collecting his scores for a long time but have always wanted access to good recordings, and Powell does the music a great service   :D

Offline diomedes

Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 09:04:51 PM
Mjames, which converter you using, I tried my usual 3 or 4 converters. They all appear to reject it, which doesn't add up on my experiences.

Got my patio, Sun, but no new music. Bah. Wasted enough time tinkering, work time for now.
Faure barcarolle 10

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 10:59:48 PM
First you gotta use the actual link to the video

For example

this link "
" is a link to the playlist but not the video itself, so most converters would have trouble converter

the link to the actual video is (no playlist) is

only, that should solve your problems.

Look for the "&" in the links to separate them so you can get the link to the video alone

&index=12&list=PLAFz3LomyyYTTeRXSDQeYJGTJWiQU3RaC

to get
only.

and the converter im using is https://convert2mp3.net/en/ becuz its great. no malware or anything. :D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert