Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: DANG GOOD STACCATO IS IMPORTANT  (Read 1680 times)

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
DANG GOOD STACCATO IS IMPORTANT
on: July 15, 2015, 06:11:15 AM
I've really been noticing this lately. Precise, well-placed staccato can REALLY REALLY make you sound a lot more professional in your music. If the score calls for it, of course. I think that zimerman is a master at well placed staccato. Listen to his performance of the chopin concertos. They are full of that beautiful staccato.

Ok so I've got some examples. PLEASE WATCH THESE. It only takes a few seconds and well... it's amazing. Watch: start a little before 50 seconds in this video. CAN YOU EVEN BELIEVE THAT? His level (in my mind) goes skyrocketing.

For this one, start at 33 seconds. I think he had one bad note, but my point still stands...

I would strongly encourage you to perfect your staccato playing, as I believe it will improve your overall performance a lot!  ;D
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Re: DANG GOOD STACCATO IS IMPORTANT
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 05:55:11 AM
I think what you're hearing is a very clean, articulated touch, which I agree does work wonders when used well.
Just plain staccato, however, can mean a lot of different things, many of which would sound ugly in either context you provided.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 06:00:18 AM
I think what you're hearing is a very clean, articulated touch, which I agree does work wonders when used well.
Just plain staccato, however, can mean a lot of different things, many of which would sound ugly in either context you provided.

"Staccato: with each sound or note sharply detached or separated from the others."

Is this not what you heard in both performances? And is this not what sounds great? Were you listening at the right places?  ???  ???  ???
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 06:51:32 PM
Yes, but there are many types of staccatos that you could mean- light staccato, "sticky" staccato (a series of connected staccatos), or, what you were experiencing here, clean and articulated notes, which is a bit different.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 07:57:28 PM
Yes, but there are many types of staccatos that you could mean- light staccato, "sticky" staccato (a series of connected staccatos), or, what you were experiencing here, clean and articulated notes, which is a bit different.

ok, whatever you want to call it, I think you get the point  ;)

Offline pianogeek_

Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 07:46:35 AM
This is one of the things playing the organ can do for you: you start thinking about the release a lot more.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 04:15:29 PM
This is one of the things playing the organ can do for you: you start thinking about the release a lot more.

I played at a piano AND organ masterclass, he said something about release being absolutely essential in organ.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert